raaone2015
1 Copper

RE: Inspiron 5558/Win 7 won't wake from keyboard.

Since the computer IS new and has not been able to wake except with the power button since I got it, what good would it do to restore it to the same "new" state it is in now?

Also, you never answered about checking with a hi level tech there to see if there is a registry key that affects whether USB ports are "alive" when the PC is sleeping. A simple registry entry might solve this whole problem. Please check into this - it would be a much better solution than reinstalling and updating the OS.

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Hi BobA,

Dell does not support altering the registry. Please restore the system to factory state to check if the below feature is available on this particular system.

0 Kudos
raaone2015
1 Copper

Against my better judgment, I did a factory restore and got the exact same result.

This computer is of no use to me and I would like Dell to authorize Staples to take it back for a full refund.

0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

I have checked with the concerned team and found that the option to wake the system up using the keyboard and mouse is not available on laptops. It’s basically a feature available on Desktop computers.

Dell does not have option to authorize a refund from a retailer. Please contact Staples for the refund and they should provide you the refund if the system is in the return period.

0 Kudos
raaone2015
1 Copper

Maybe your concerned team should look in the BIOS - Right there is a simple setting labeled "Wake on USB." One check mark and the computer wakes from its' keyboard, its' glidepad or an external keyboard.

Thank you for your effort.

0 Kudos

Hi raaone2015,

Thanks for the update. Please check and let us know if the issue with the sleep is fixed by following the steps.

0 Kudos
acewilder
1 Copper

Hey RAAONE2015,  

I am having the same issue as you with my new Dell laptop.  It seems ridiculous to not be able to wake computer from sleep with the keyboard.  I too have had several laptops all with the ability to wake from sleep via keyboard or mouse.  

Did you ever find a way to make your dell wake from sleep via keyboard or mouse?

Another annoyance with my new dell is that there is no keyboard shortcut for turning off the screen.  Again most laptop have this feature.  

I have the Dell 3147 2 in 1 by the way.

Cheers, hope to hear that you have figured out our problem.

0 Kudos
raaone2015
1 Copper

Hi.

In the BIOS, there is a selection for "Wake on USB." I enabled that and the computer wakes from the built-in keyboard or my remote USB keyboard.

Good luck.
0 Kudos
vr3144
1 Copper

How do you get into, edit and save the change in the BIOS?

0 Kudos