Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2016 00:00

Inspiron 5559 - Screen Darkens, Mystery Flashing Code

Hello all,

I have an Inspiron 15 5000 (5559) laptop that's a few months old, running Windows 10 with all the updates, virus free, yada yada. When the computer falls asleep, it frequently refuses to "wake up." The keyboard and screen backlights come on, but the primary screen does not (hooking up an external monitor works, but isn't a viable solution). Sometimes I can wait it out, hit a key, and then the screen comes back on, but most of the time it doesn't, resulting in a restart, causing me to lose homework, etc.

Rarely even restating the computer doesn't fix the issue, and the power light at the lower edge of the unit blinks an unusual pattern: 7 flashes of white, then quickly alternating white and orange. I've Googled for an hour and tried to find documentation, but I've only found articles relating to older models or generic answers that don't apply. I'm hoping somebody on the forums know what's up! I'm really hoping it's a fixable issue.

(Rarely, while in Win 10, the laptop will display a message confirming a BIOS change and wants to restart to apply the changes. This doesn't appear to be connected to the screen issues, but if it is, there you go)

I'm a power user, in college for Computer Support, so have at me with the technical details and instructions if you have a fix.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 19th, 2016 12:00

Remove or disconnect the battery - does the flashing pattern cease?

247 Posts

November 19th, 2016 12:00

So is bios up to date? Have you tried to refresh Win 10 which won't destroy your files or personal settings. Also have you tried to install a generic graphic driver? You could have something interfering with sleep mode. Could run the power troubleshooter in Windows to see if it can find a issue. I have a 5559 too and the only issue I have had was a poor graphic driver that crashed a lot until a fix came out. Not had any sleep issues, some have suggested turning off fast startup in bios which wouldn't hurt to check if that is enabled or not.

2 Posts

November 19th, 2016 19:00

Running the computer without the battery "solves" the issue, but I had access to an identical model, swapped the batteries, and the problem still persists.

247 Posts

November 21st, 2016 14:00

Sounds like a internal issue with battery connection. Like a power feedback of some sorts, so you get this running purely on battery too? Look at the flat pins for the battery connection to see if any are bent or broke.

No Events found!