Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2017 21:00

Inspiron 5559 Win 7 USB 2.0 Root Hub Missing

My Inspiron 5559 came pre-installed with Windows 10 and a 1TB hard drive. I installed a Kingston SSD and a clean copy of Windows 7 Home Premium on the new drive. After installing all Windows 7 64-bit drivers from Dell's web page everything was great except that everything to do with USB 2.0 is missing from ...

Universal Serial Bus controllers
Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller
Intel USB 3.0 Root Hub
Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader
USB Mass Storage Device

In any typical Windows installation, this section lists several 'Generic USB Hub' and 'USB Root Hub' entries but I'm completely without them. Even Services is missing 'USB Safely Remove Assistant'

I suspect this is the reason Windows Backup and Restore is unable to see connected USB drive when I booted recovery DVD to perform a restore. No drive, no image found. 

I'm at a loss as to what might have caused this. This is a fresh install and laptop is just a few months old.

532 Posts

June 23rd, 2017 06:00

Hi,

Welcome to our community.

You’ve reached the right department. We are here to assist you. The issue that you've reported seems to be with the chipset drivers not installed in the system. We’ll be glad to provide you with the driver links. We request you to share the service tag/ express service code via private message. To send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’.

The Service Tag is a 7-character code, and the Express Service Tag is a 10-digit code that is a numeric version of the Service Tag. Both codes are on the bottom of your laptop. You can also refer to this link which is a video that shows steps to find the service tag.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 23rd, 2017 06:00

Look under Chipset in the drivers list and make sure you've installed all the drivers there, rebooting as required between installs.

28 Posts

June 23rd, 2017 07:00

Yes I have installed all drivers from this page and it hasn't made a difference. I have also checked BIOS settings to make sure USB hasn't been disabled. BIOS is also configured for Legacy boot options (no secure boot).

8 Posts

June 27th, 2017 09:00

I think I have the same problem on a new (May 2017) Inspiron Desktop 3668 running latest Windows 10 vn1703 with 2 USB 3.0 ports on the front and 4 USB 2.0 ports on the back.

In Device Manager I see one 'USB 3.0 eXtensible host controller' and one 'USB Root Hub (3.0)'.

Should there be controller(s) and root hub(s) for USB 2.0??

I have a USB 2.0 device (a Satmap) which won’t work on this machine in any of the ports. It works fine on an older Dell desktop that only has USB 2.0 ports so I don’t think there’s any fault with the device itself.

On the new machine, Device Manager know it is there (it appears in three places - as USB Mass Storage Device under USB controllers, as USB Device under Disk Drives and also under Portable Devices) but nothing else can 'see' it - not File Explorer nor the Satmap application software.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

28 Posts

June 27th, 2017 19:00

Yeah this is a strange one. Dell support said they were unable to provide any support unless I moved back to Windows 10 (the OS that was originally shipped with the laptop), followed their instructions explicitly and DELL ISO restored. Cost me a huge chunk of my data plan and time downloading several gigs of the OS media after which another 4GB of updates to the latest version.

All that (24 hours later) and Device Manager still shows no USB 2.0 Root Hub although USB 3.0 and 2.0 hubs work. What's even more surprising is that I did a simulated boot disc recovery and it was able to see my backup image on an external drive attached to one of the USB 2.0 ports (previously this exercise failed with Windows 7 flagging "no previous image found" coz simply, no USB 2.0 Root Hub, no drives detected.

8 Posts

July 10th, 2017 04:00

After a lot of uninstalling/reinstalling of drivers and software, my problem is solved but I’m not entirely sure why. Nothing individually made any difference. It’s as though there was some sort of cumulative effect.

One notable change is that the notorious “Device . . . could not be migrated” message has disappeared. I was getting this on virtually all USB devices, most (but not all) of which continued to work regardless. It may just be coincidence but it was around the same time as uninstalling all the ‘history’ of USB/Disks/Portable devices/and others from within Device Manager (by clicking View/Show hidden devices then rightclick/Uninstall all the ghostly greyed out items).

Now instead of Events showing:  

Device deleted, Device not migrated, Device configured, Device started

I just have:

Device deleted, Device configured, Device started

However I’m sure I went round the loop of doing the Uninstalling from within Device Manager more than once before achieving this so it could be coincidence.  

Anyway, the Satmap works (for now) in both USB2.0 ports and USB3.0 ports, so maybe my USB2.0 controller theory was completely irrelevant. Apologies for any red herrings.

No Events found!