Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

April 7th, 2016 08:00

Inspiron 5559 "Display driver stopped working & has recovered" leaving black screen. Win 10.

I'm having a problem where it says "Display driver stopped working and has recovered".  I see where several others have posted about this, but I'm unable to locate a fix here or reply to other similar posts for some strange reason.  I have a 4 month old Inspiron 15 5559 laptop runing Windows 10 Home x64. The problem occurs intermittently  when I go to the tomshardware.com forums.  It occurs most often with Firefox (version 45.0.1) but it also happens with IE11.  It happens usually after I post a note there, then click the back arrow a couple of times to go back to the listing of all the posts.

According to Device Manager, I have version 20.19.15.4300.  When I tell it to scan for an updated version, it says I already have the most current driver for the Intel HD graphics 520.

Please advise how I can get rid of this problem.  Thank you.

1 Message

April 7th, 2016 14:00

I have the same issue with Inspiron 7559. But, not just in web browsing. It happens in Word, Peachtree, etc. So, my thoughts are the problem is a Windows 10 display driver issue, which should be fixed by a driver update provided by the manufacturer. I did a system scan on Dell Support Assistant (thy actually are run every week) and my system has the latest drivers, according the DSA. Get on the stick, Dell. Interesting thing is, it doesn't show up in the System Events in the Dell Support Assistant software - not even as an "info" point. It's like Dell is ignoring the Windows error.

6 Posts

April 8th, 2016 05:00

I too, have the same issue. Just updated Intel Video driver from Dell website. Driver version now 20.19.15. 4404 AO3. Guess what? Just had my first, 'Display driver stopped responding and has recovered', message. Lets hope we get a fix soon!

20 Posts

April 8th, 2016 07:00

I installed the 20.19.15. 4404 AO3 driver yesterday, and if it didn't fix the problem for me, it sure helped.  I haven't seen the problem since installing it; but it's just one day since I installed it, so I want to give it a little more time before I draw any conclusions.  Conspicuous by its absence here is any comment from the folks at Dell. 

36 Posts

April 21st, 2016 09:00

No answer from Dell!  What's going on?  It's been two weeks.  I saw one post where somebody from Dell said "it's an Intel problem".  Dell made the decision to put the hardware together and issue a warranty for it, didn't they?  I downloaded a video driver 20.19.15. 4404 AO3 that seemed to fix the problem, but now it appears that Dell has removed it, and it's not on Intel's site either.  Google search doesn't find it, and when I put in my service tag, it lists an earlier driver as being the latest.

D E L L ,   W H A T ' S    G O I N G    O N    H E R E ?   

At the very least, you owe us an explanation.

6 Posts

April 21st, 2016 11:00

Interestingly, since I installed video driver 20.19.15.4404 AO3, on 8th April, I have had only the one, 'Display driver stopped responding and has recovered', message. Just like WalterPG I also see driver 20.19.15.4404 AO3 is missing from the Dell Update Drivers site. So I too wonder what is going on.

247 Posts

April 25th, 2016 04:00

Just bought a 5559 myself and getting random graphic card stopped working and recovered notifications. For me it happened three times using Edge browser and just after page loaded I tried scrolling and get a brief flash of screen and then notification pops up. I updated Bios, and all drivers. Kind of frustrating to pay money for new laptop and have to deal with these kind of issues.

6 Posts

April 25th, 2016 12:00

I have had this problem with my 5559 since I bought it in November last year. Like you I updated the Bios and video drivers from the Dell website. I keep checking to see if new drivers are available. On the 8th April I updated my video drivers to 20.19.15.4404 AO3 and this seem to have made a big difference. I have only had one 'Display driver stopped responding and has recovered' message since. A big improvement. WalterPG also downloaded these drivers and found an improvement. The strange thing is driver 20.19.15.4404 AO3 is not on the Dell website any more. As WalterPG said, 'What's going on'? And how long are we going to have to wait for this very annoying problem to be fixed?

1 Message

May 9th, 2016 09:00

I have some issue with my 5559. Can't use Adobe DreamWeaver without system crashing and now Intel Dislay drivers are disabled using Windows drivers.

May 31st, 2016 11:00

Hi,

I bought an Inspiron 5559 in january, and sens it back 10 days later. I've tried everything about this intel driver : no issue.

It is just not possible that a major like Dell sell equipment like that.

I am about to buy a new one, waiting for some month that this problem is solved. I can read that one month ago this problem is still running. Dispointed.

What Dell is waiting for? Even if it is more a microsoft/intel problem, it not possible to let clients buying such poor computer.

I am a big Dell fan, I bought my first Dell there are 15 years ago. I think that the story will end soon.

6 Posts

June 1st, 2016 02:00

When I run Dell Support Assist I see new Video Drivers, 20.19.15.4454 A04, are available for my 5559. I have not installed them as I am running 20.19.15.4404 A03 and these have improved, but not fixed, the situation. Has anyone installed 20.19.15.4454 04 ? Are they fix we have all been waiting for? Thought I would wait and see how other people get on as 20.19.15.4404 A03 have made thing much better for me. Re. ALTECANSING49 I agree completely, this should have been fixed months ago regardless whether it's a Dell or Microsoft or an Intel problem.   

36 Posts

June 3rd, 2016 15:00

I just noticed your post.  I'm on the 20.19.15.4404 A03 version as well, and it's working well for me.  So I'm practicing the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy.  You'd think Dell owes us an explanation of why they put this version up, then a week or two they removed it with NO explanation, then put this newer driver up, again with NO EXPLANATION.  This says to me that Dell has gotten bogged down in a lot of bureaucracy, and that really degrades my opinion of them.  I teach computer classes and am often asked for recommendations; I'm afraid I'll have think twice before recommending Dell again.  If they can't communicate with their customers who are still under warranty, what else can't they get right?  That question seems to be screaming out for an answer, doesn't it?

1 Message

June 7th, 2016 18:00

I purchased this Del 5558 about a month ago and the machine is also producing this display driver stopped working/recovered issue.

When I put my service key into the support page, the radio button for Win 8 was automatically selected, which was odd, since the machine came with Win 10.   I changed OS selection.

So I downloaded a few of the available drivers, not bothering to check versions (system should do that automatically, correct?).

Anyway, after downloading the bios version available, my laptop is slower on reboot.

A few of the  drivers would not load (non-compatible).

My real issue is the WiFi...intermittent connectivity issues.   Troubleshooter doesn't help, and when I tried the driver download...incompatible.

Thanks.

1 Message

July 26th, 2016 04:00

I found these posts due to a customer of mine having an XPS13-9350 with this same video chip and driver and they keep getting Windows crashes, bug checks of 0a and 19 and all pointing towards the video driver. I tried to get the Intel generic driver installed but that failed due to "not being compatible with this system". Interestingly, the problem only seemed to start occurring about 2 weeks ago even though the .4454 A05 version has been installed for a while so maybe it's partly down to Windows updates too. If anyone from Dell is actually monitoring it would be useful to know if there are any known issues being worked on and when an updated driver can be expected.

36 Posts

July 26th, 2016 15:00

I downloaded the A03 version of the video driver back on 4/7/2016 and it fixed the problem for me.  Then 2 weeks later Dell mysteriously removed it and hasn't said a word about why. :emotion-12:  Some time later they came up with an A04 version (4 or 5 weeks best as I can remember).  I didn't install the A04 version because what I have is working and I'm a believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". 

I have to say that it's incredible that Dell has been so sneaky and failing to communicate about this.  It makes me seriously wonder about what they're trying to hide.  :emotion-39:

6 Posts

July 27th, 2016 05:00

Hi, I got an update notification from Dell Update telling me new drivers were available.  One was an update for the video driver. I, too, like WALTERPG was running 20.19.15.4404 A03, which had stopped all the crashes. I had not updated to 20.19.15.4454,A04 because, 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' However, as this update came through the Dell Update I installed  20.19.15.4454,A04 and so far all is good. No more crash notifications. So, if Dell finally has video drivers available would it not have been a good idea to make this information more readily available. You only have to read some of the threads on the Support Forums to see how widespread this problem has been, with many new computers, straight out of the box displaying this problem. So, fingers crossed we finally have a solution to, ' Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver Intel HD Graphics Drivers for Windows 8(R) stopped responding and has successfully recovered.'

No Events found!