Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2016 10:00

Inspiron 5567

Folks

I purchased a new Dell inspiron 5567 i5 7th generation.

Unfortunately i cannot hear any audio from the speakers, I can hear it from my headset after plugging in the same and selecting the input option in maxxaudiopro.

I have updated all the drivers via automatic windows update.

Looking for your help and advice to rectify the same.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 16th, 2016 11:00

It is a mistake to use windows update for drivers for a new laptop. New laptops do not need any updates.  Dell Laptops have customized Dell drivers so Dell is the only place to get drivers but laptops rarely if ever need updated drivers. Dell will notify you when updates are released if you sign up for notices. Your model is so new that there are no drivers available at the Dell Support site yet. Rollback to your original drivers.

Right click on your Volume Icon on the lower right and check the settings for Playback devices.

6 Posts

December 16th, 2016 12:00

@ Mary G

Thank you for your prompt response.

I tried playing the audio the moment i switched on the device and could not hear any audio.

Thus, i decided to update the same via windows update.

under the sound tab, i am able to see a speaker/headphones icon.

But still the audio problem persists unfortunately.

6 Posts

December 16th, 2016 12:00

@ Mary G

Thank you for your prompt response.

I tried playing the audio the moment i switched on the device and could not hear any audio.

Thus, i decided to update the same via windows update.

under the sound tab, i am able to see a speaker/headphones icon.

But still the audio problem persists unfortunately.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 16th, 2016 15:00

Hi. If you have an Inspiron 5567 then you can find all of the drivers -- all versions -- that Dell has released for it, on the Inspiron 5567 html page. I don't know what Mary G meant about it being too new.

You can also get the drivers from the Inspiron 5567 support page, but that page only shows the latest versions, which is of no help if the latest version is buggy.

Your laptop has Realtek audio hardware, which means that for audio it can use either the Windows native audio driver or a Realtek driver. You should try both. If the speakers don't work with either driver, then the problem is not a buggy driver, and can be hardware failure.

There is a hardware test for the speakers. If you don't hear the test tones through the speakers while running the tests, then the speakers are either defective or disconnected.

If the problem persists, reply back or contact tech support.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 17th, 2016 04:00

all versions -- that Dell has released for it, on the Inspiron 5567 html page.

I corrected a punctuation error in the address, so the link works now.

However I really doubt that the Realtek driver is buggy. I have never heard of an audio driver that was so buggy that audio would only come through the headphones. Once there was a version of the driver in which the headphones failed to be detected after re-booting the laptop, but audio did play thought the speakers. That was the worst bug I have ever come across. So I am more inclined to think that there has been hardware failure.

6 Posts

December 17th, 2016 10:00

Hey jimco,

Thanks for the update. As instructed by you, i performed the PSA test (colour test) and yet i was not able to hear any audio from the speakers.

So, IT  practically means the speakers are dead or do they need to be "reconnected"

Since this is a new unit purchased very recently, do you think it is advisable to replace the whole unit with a new one or a small minor rectification by the service center will bring back the audio to its original form.

Thanks once again for your help.

Regards

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 17th, 2016 14:00

means the speakers are dead or do they need to be "reconnected"

It's impossible to tell from the test, but it is one or the other.

do you think it is advisable to replace the whole unit with a new one

I would want to know which choice is the quickest.

Keep in mind that any repairs are done under the terms of the warranty, which allows Dell to use "refurbished" (think "used") parts.

6 Posts

December 18th, 2016 11:00

Is there any other test which i can perform. The reason being the product was purchased by fam in GCC region whereas i am based out in south asia.

I'm not too sure about the international warranty also.

Time is certainly not a constraint, i can wait until i get the right product.

If its a hardware problem , does it require major repairing on the motherboard or a small correction can sort it out ?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 18th, 2016 15:00

Is there any other test which i can perform.

Yes, go to the Inspiron 5567 support page/diagnostics.

If its a hardware problem

Failure of the ePSA test means that it is a hardware problem. That particular diagnostic does not use Windows, or Windows based audio drivers, so they are eliminated from the start. The test is specifically designed to find hardware failure. To the best of my knowledge, the only way this would be incorrect is in the case of user error somehow. I am a bit surprised that you had to do the color bar failure workaround. Your PSA does not have the "Perform Quick Audio Check" test?

Another test would be to run Linux Live from removable media. If you have the same problem with that operating system then it is hardware. However that is not necessary when you have the PSA or ePSA test available to use.

does it require major repairing on the motherboard or a small correction can sort it out ?

The motherboard should not be involved. Either the speakers need replacing or the connection needs to be re-seated. The latter is a small correction. My understanding is that you are allowed to open up your laptop without voiding the warranty, just can't work on it. I might be wrong, though. You can get the Service Manual here. I download the manuals and use Adobe Reader to open them, which makes them a little easier to read.

No Events found!