Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 21st, 2012 16:00

Inspiron 5720 Can't get 32bit color on laptop screen

Hi there

I've noticed that my color on my laptop display seems to have dropped down to 16bit color. All the gradients etc are messed up. If I change the display to 16bit and back to 32bit the display is the same and the graphics are poor.

When I plug into my external monitor things look fine. It's just my built-in display that's not right.

I'm wondering if this is somehow connected to the other problem I asked about here, which has gone unanswered so far...  (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19480176.aspx)

Any ideas why my laptop display will only show 16bit color?

Thanks

Brett

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

December 21st, 2012 19:00

Hi BrettOnTheNet,

Please run LCD BIST (Built in Self-test) to check if the problem is with LCD screen.

To initiate LCD BIST:

• Connect the AC adapter to your computer.
  • Hold the letter <D> on your keyboard and then turn on your computer.
  • You will see four colors (grey, red, green, and blue) on the screen in a sequence.

Check if there are any abnormalities in the LCD screen and reply.

If there are no problems with the LCD, let us reinstall the video drivers for the problem. Please follow the below steps to uninstall the video drivers:

1. Click “Start”.
  2. Click “Control Panel” and select “Device Manager”.
  3. On the “Device Manager” window, expand “Display adapters”.
  4. Right click the graphics driver listed and click “Uninstall”.
  5. Ensure to check the box for “Delete driver software for this device”.
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the drivers.
  7. Restart the computer.
  8. Visit the following website: http://dell.to/Mbe3zg
  9. Enter the Service tag of the computer in the box provided and click “Submit”.
  10. In the next page, click drop down arrow to select the Operating System which is installed in the computer.
  11. Under category Video, select the Video drivers accordingly and click “Download File” and save the file on desktop.
  12. Run the driver file, follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver and restart the computer when prompted.

Check the functionality of the system and post the results.

December 21st, 2012 21:00

OK. I restarted and now I have version 9.17.10.2867 installed. Nothing is different - I still have 16bit colors even though it's set to 32bit.  I checked this in Screen Resolution/Advanced Settings. I definitely have it set to 32bit.  I do notice in there that it says I have a Generic PnP Monitor - not sure if that's relevant or not.

Should I try reinstalling those Older Drivers? They are:

Intel HD Graphics 4000/3000/2000/2500  8.15.10.2712, A03

Intel HD Graphics 4000/2500  8.15.10.2598, A00

The other two drivers showing up are

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M | NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M | NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M

Intel WiDi | Intel Wireless Display

Thanks

Brett

December 21st, 2012 21:00

Thank you for your help. I did the LCD BIST test and it looked fine.

I uninstalled the video driver, and deleted the files.

I then rebooted, and now have a much reduced resolution on my screen. As I was starting, the system seemed to be trying to install drivers itself. If I click into Device Manager now it seems to have intaled Intel HD Graphics 4000 ver 9.12.10.2867.  But it hasn't restarted and the display is still low res. I didn't notice that this was there in the Device Manager until after I did the following...

I went to the Dell site, and entered my service tag. I was not presented with any video drivers to download. I showed ALL the drivers for my product and there were two Intel HD Graphics drivers listed. Both with a driver version number starting with 8 (so earlier than the version that has apparently been installed automatically)

I did try to install those drivers after downloading them but both of them returned a message, warning that a later driver was in place.

So.. I have not installed those, and I am about to reboot my machine to see what this ver 9 driver looks like.  I'll report back soon.

Thanks again

Brett

December 21st, 2012 23:00

I just plugged in an external monitor and cloned the displays. There is a very clear difference between my external monitor (showing all gradients very clearly) and my laptop display. Could this be a hardware fault?

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

December 22nd, 2012 01:00

Hi BrettOnTheNet,

There are a few steps that you can try before coming to a conclusion. Updating the video card drivers could help. To find the right video card driver for the system, please private message me the service tag of the system, I will check the specification of the Video card present in the computer and provide appropriate drivers for the same.

To private message me, click my user name, click Add as friend, and click start conversation and send the service tag of the system.

Awaiting your response.

December 22nd, 2012 02:00

Thank you. I sent you a PM

December 22nd, 2012 23:00

Hi Nikhil.

Just wondering if you got my PM. I haven't heard anything back.

Cheers

Brett

No Events found!