Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 28th, 2016 07:00

Inspiron 5748 - new battery not charging, new adapter not recognised...jack/socket or Win10 problem?

Battery not charging in my Inspiron 5748 - Intel i5@1.70GHz / 8GB RAM / 1TB disk / two years old. I've replaced charger and battery but problem persists. I've seen posts about other laptops and wonder if this could be a problem with the connector/socket (between adapter and laptop), and if I could replace that? Also, the problem seems to have started when we upgraded from Win8.1 to Win10; could that be an issue?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 29th, 2016 06:00

This is a hardware problem that will not be solved by a BIOS update.

If the system is under warranty, contact Dell for repair/replacement of the system/power adapter.

If it's out of warranty,

1.  Try a new OEM Dell adapter.  It may solve the problem.

2.  If not, replace the DC jack:

www.parts-people.com/index.php

3.  If that doesn't solve the issue, it's the mainboard that is faulty and will need to be replaced.

June 29th, 2016 02:00

Hi BONMOT,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.

Please update the BIOS and chipset driver to the latest available from our Dell support site.

Check in the BIOS if the adapter and charger are recognized.

Please private message us the service tag of the system along with your email id.

(Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information).

8 Posts

June 29th, 2016 05:00

Thank you, DELL-Akshatha M, will take a look. Shouldn't I be nervy about messing with BIOS?

Currently, the BIOS does not recognise adapter/charger...and error msg urges me to get a proper Dell one, which it is!

8 Posts

June 29th, 2016 09:00

Hi DELL-Akshatha M...I tried to update BIOS and received this warning: "The Battery must be charged above 10 percent before the system BIOS can be flashed."

The problem is that the battery is not charging...and is stuck at 0 percent.

8 Posts

June 29th, 2016 09:00

Thank you, ejn63...and I read your response to similar issue on another model, from few years ago, v helpful.

There seems to be a problem finding the DC jack in UK.

8 Posts

July 12th, 2016 04:00

Laptop working/re-charging again after I fitted replacement DC port (part and YouTube tutorial from Parts People in Austin, Tx...excellent).

Many thanks, ejn63, for advice...and that link.

No Events found!