Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 12th, 2014 01:00

Inspiron 5748 no power LED

Dear All,

I just unboxed my new Dell Inspiron 5748 (17 inches, core i7 etc. etc.).

I noticed a strange thing: there is no evidence that the notebook is powered up, apart of LCD screen lit.

When the screen goes off, you don't know if laptop is on or off.

There is a led in the left right edge of the front, but it lights up (after a BIOS update to A05, it was always dark with A04 BIOS) only when the power supply is connected.

When powering up the laptop with battery, the led lights up, but after one second it starts to dim until it is completely dark.

It is annoying, especially with Windows 8.1 that, when powering off the laptop, shuts off the screen several seconds before the laptop is really powered off.

I had a long phone call with technical support, but it seems that this behaviour is by design.

I also miss a HDD activity led, that could be a sign of the computer activity, in the lack of power led.

Anyone noticed something similar with these laptop models?

Regadrs from Lorenzo - Italy

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 12th, 2014 04:00

Welcome to the world of "copy Apple" where function follows form.  Many new systems have followed Apple's lead - and have no LED indicators for power or hard drive activity.

6 Posts

December 12th, 2014 06:00

Hi Lorenzo:

I have the same laptop (5748) that I bought in September of this year. Be assured, that the LED issue that you indicated is totally normal for this laptop. My LED lamp is on the lower right edge of my unit, not the left side that you indicated. The Inspiron 5000 17 is a great machine and I have been enjoying it since the day I got it. The only improvements would be a backlit keyboard...they Dell people told me it was not available on this machine. I did upgrade my processor to a i5 processor...I see you have an i7...sweet!  Again, your machine's LED is normal.

5 Posts

December 12th, 2014 06:00

Uh... My mistake. The led is on the right, not on the left...

Thanks for confirming the led behaviour.

Bye!

April 14th, 2015 11:00

The backlit keyboards are available for this unit, but it's part of a package when you get the touch screen display.  Touchscreen gives you backlit keyboard, standard display comes without.  It's a nice option to select when you are building your system at purchase.  Well worth the couple extra bucks.

1 Message

June 20th, 2015 17:00

Can you explain more precisely why this is normal. The LED lamp was worked for me couple of days ago. I noticed this night that is not working. And why this is trending topic "Inspiron 5748 no power LED"?

6 Posts

June 20th, 2015 18:00

I believe the LED goes on when the battery is charging...I noticed mine was on last night.

No Events found!