Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 12th, 2016 11:00

Inspiron 5759: Failed BIOS Update, No UEFI, No Dell Recovery

I'm new to UEFI and after a failed BIOS update, I removed and completely reformatted the HDD on another machine, wiping out the UEFI partition. So now I cannot load Dell Recovery to re-flash/repair the BIOS.

I have completed all the steps for notebook computers as suggested on Dell Support here: BIOS Recovery 2 options on a Dell PC or Tablet (http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/4/SLN300716/en)

I formatted a bootable external USB key with a copy of the BIOS package properly renamed as instructed. However, when I use the CTRL + Esc key combination and power up the computer, the system does not boot to Dell Recovery, but instead the power LED flashes a 3,3 code (3 amber flashes, 3 white flashes) which indicates "Recovery Image Not Found" according to the Dell Knowledge Base. I presume this code is given because it cannot find the Dell Recovery application since it (as well as the entire UEFI partition) is now gone after I reformatted the HDD.

So, I know what the problem is, I just don't know what to do at this point to fix it.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

11 Posts

December 13th, 2016 14:00

Just saw that a new BIOS version (1.2.7) was released on 12/8/2016. Downloaded it and created a new USB Recovery Key using that BIOS image and it worked flawlessly.

BIOS updated and computer boots normally now... no de-soldering required.

11 Posts

December 13th, 2016 10:00

Wow, these "community" forums are really great. Thanks for the helpful replies... all ZERO of them!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 13th, 2016 11:00

At what point in the flash process did the failure occur?  It sounds like it happened deep enough into the process that you have two options:

Find a shop that can de-solder the BIOS chip, flash it externally and re-solder it, or

Replace the system board.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 13th, 2016 12:00

Did you see this note"

"Note: If the recovery image is not available on the primary hard disk drive, or the affected system is experiencing a No POST/No Boot issue, then creating a USB recovery key is the only option."

Contact Dell to have them send a USB recovery key.

11 Posts

December 13th, 2016 12:00

Seriously? Surely, physical intervention isn't the only option?

There's no way to get Dell Recovery to work, perhaps by replacing the now blank original HDD with one that has the recovery partition so that the recovery process utilizing the BIOS image on USB key will complete?

The recovery process -tries- to work, but gets stuck because the recovery partition no longer exists on the HDD. If this were replaced or another HDD with the recovery partition is used, wouldn't the recovery process (and accompanying BIOS update) complete?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 13th, 2016 13:00

You're going to need to purchase the recovery key -- if you did not prepare one ahead of time.

11 Posts

As I said, I created a recovery key following the instructions. The only reason someone would need to get a recovery key from Dell is because their BIOS is not a Dell BIOS. Mine is.

"If you have a Dell BIOS on your system you can follow the instructions below, however if your BIOS is supplied by another manufacturer then you will need to contact Dell Support to get a copy of it's recovery file."

I appreciate your replies, but I'm afraid you don't understand where I am in this process and how it works.

11 Posts

Of course I saw that note. You don't get the recovery key from Dell. You create a recovery key with your own USB drive per the instructions in the FAQ section above the one you quoted: "How do I create an external USB key to perform BIOS Recovery on my Dell PC or tablet?"

As I said, I followed the instructions but the recovery process stalls because the recovery partition is no longer on the HDD.

11 Posts

December 13th, 2016 14:00

Let this message thread serve as a cautionary tale for anyone seeking support advice from this community forum... I was told to have my BIOS chip de-soldered or motherboard replaced... then that I had to buy a recovery key from Dell. This person obviously has no idea what they're talking about yet purports to speak with authority.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 13th, 2016 17:00

Your original post did mention flashing the bios,,,  nothing like that would be necessary if you just deleted the UEFI partition...  

All you needed to do is to boot to the Install Media you could have downloaded and then just re-create the UEFI partition and run one command.  Good to go...  

11 Posts

December 13th, 2016 19:00

As I said, once I ran the recovery procedure using the new v.1.2.7 BIOS, it worked fine.

No Events found!