Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

17 Posts

April 26th, 2007 15:00

Inspiron 6000 Not Charging, but running on AC Power.

I'm going to try and be as specific as possible, and hope that whoever responds to this takes the time to read it carefully. A few weeks ago I plugged the AC Adapter into my Inspiron 6000 while my computer was already on and the computer gave me a message (from Quickset) that said something like this, "Your AC Adapter is not a Dell 65 Watt AC adapter, and therefore your computer will run slowly and your battery will not charge." Since then, my computer has been running on AC Power, but it has not been charging the battery. When I do a BIOS check, it says that the AC Power Adapter device is 'Unknown'. This is the same power adapter I received with my Dell and it has been working just wonderfully until now. Another fact to take into consideration is that I did a fresh install of Windows XP before this problem took place. The fresh install was the type where I deleted the partition and set up a new one. Also, the AC Adapter has its own LED light which is ON. I reseated the battery, I flashed the BIOS, I tried the AC adapter with no battery and it worked fine, and now, it will run on AC power, but will not charge the batter. Of course, my warranty is expired, and I'm out of luck, unless someone out there has a kind heart and the knowledge to save me from this micro disaster. Thanks for reading. I've noticed lots of power issues on this forum and lots of responses that have to do with the motherboard or whatever. It seems that most people have power problems after having the computer for about a year. I have not yet seen a problem that was exactly like mine, where they were getting a message that the AC adapter will no longer power the computer because it's not a Dell Adapter (even though it IS) -Josh

5 Posts

May 25th, 2007 22:00

This is so not cool.  I got so excited thinking this was going to be fixed in a little while :(  I will take apart my computer and see if my systemboard is cracked or if the charger port is starting to come off.

6 Posts

May 29th, 2007 18:00

I have a similar problem. I have not used my Inspiron 6000 for almost a month now because of a faulty AC adaptor. After a while, it just didn't charge anymore. I had the same problem with a replacement too. I'm out of warranty now, so I have no choice but to buy another one. Which will probably fail once again. It's a shame that Dell is selling shoddy merchandise.

1 Message

June 15th, 2007 14:00

My Dell Inspiron 6000 was purchased Feb 2005.  (currently out of warranty)
I began having battery/charging problems about 3 months ago.  I replaced the battery and now I cannot get it to charge and my computer will not run on the AC adaptor alone.  I have a friend who also has the inspiron 6000 and I can charge my battery using her computer and my computer will run fine for two hours, however, even with her AC adaptor, my computer will not run.  I also tried my AC adaptor on her computer and it works fine. 

I cannot replace just the power supply, Dell is stating I need to replace the entire mother board...

I am at a point now where I am going to see if I can return the new battery I bought and just get a new computer that is not Dell.  I am very disappointed...if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!   Much appreciated...

8 Posts

June 16th, 2007 18:00

I have the same problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 Posts

November 25th, 2007 21:00

Same Thing Happened to ME!!
How many of us are there? 
  I bought my Inspiron 6000 in October 2005.  While it was under warranty I went through all this stuff.  Replaced batteries, bought new AC adapters and then finally got the mother board replaced.  Now that the warranty is expired, I am going through the same thing ALL OVER again.  From what I can tell the only recourse is to purchase a new mother board for $500 which will probably fail again in less than a year.

So Dell, why won't you make good on this obvious defect?

November 26th, 2007 18:00

Just a quick note/update about this. The laptop I described in my post was permanently a desktop shortly after I posted about this. The problem most definitely did NOT reside in the battery or the adapter (although both did fail independently at different times) but rather in the mother board itself. The computers still works but only on the tether of a power cord. I made the decision that I'd thrown enough money at this computer to made a commitment to try something new. My work dictated it would be a mac running parallel so I could run xp and leopard. It's a pretty sweet set up if you can afford it. Any way you go though on the PC side, make sure you get a 3 year service plan. Most of these computers are manufactured in 1 of 3 places and then get a different label called a 'brand' for you to invest confidence. Buy the least inexpensive one you can with the best guarantee.

1.1K Posts

November 26th, 2007 18:00

lynnjb11:

Thank you for posting to the Dell Community Forums.

The problem you are having is not an "obvious defect". Unfortunately, it sounds as if the system was not purchased with an extended service contract. As a result, any repair at this time will need to be covered by Out of Warranty repair through Dell, or through a 3rd party.

You might try posting your symptoms and troubleshooting steps taken, in an original thread. One of the board members could then assist and possibly provide more detailed repair options, once the failure has been identified.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

December 7th, 2007 22:00

Hey, even if you guys decide to just sell everyone replacement motherboards at a discount I think that would be a win. Nobody on this string is happy - we'd love to be doing something else with our lives (and totally wasted energy, not to mention computers gathering dust because we can't use them) and not bummed on Dell.

4 Posts

December 7th, 2007 22:00

Chris,
With all due respect, I know what's wrong. I need a new mother board.

While the machine was under warranty I purchased 2 power cords and you replaced the battery.
None of this worked and then you replaced the Mother Board.  It worked for a few months and then it all began again.  You battery is getting a bad bad rap on your website for this model, but I know it's not the battery, it's the mother board!!
I cannot tell you how much I regret not extending the warranty.

The defect is obviousl  Everyone in this forum has the same problem.  The machine stops recognizing the AC adaptor and ceases to charge the battery.  People replace adaptors and batteries, spend money to no avail.  It's the mother board.

This is my second Dell.  We purchased first a Desktop and then this laptop.  If Dell is unwilling to step up and make good then they have lost a customer.  In the future I would not be stupid and only go with a one year warranty, but when all these people have the SAME problem.

I paid 800 for this machine and now my only recourse is to pay another $500 for another Mother Board that will likely fail again? Would you do it?

1 Message

December 13th, 2007 01:00

I'm hoping I dont fall in the same boat.  In my Control panel, system states battery charging, but it shows 0% and "Charging".  Can I expect to have mother board issues or has anyone been successful with battery replacement.  I guess I keft out the words "Completely satisfied"

12 Posts

December 16th, 2007 15:00

Somecolour,

After 18 months of trying to find a resolution, through Dell, to the same problem you describe in your post, began searching the internet on my own and to my surprise I found that the Dell charger that had come with my Inspirion 6000 had been recalled quite a while back.  In all of my discussions with the techs at Dell and on this forum not one mentioned the charger recall. 

When I called Dell customer service and gave them the model number of my charger they agreed it had been included in the recall and I began the process of having it replaced.  Unfortunately, after few months I have never received the replacement charger that they were to send within a few weeks so I am beginning the process again. 

My suggestion for anyone on this string is to call Dell customer service and mention the recall of the chargers.  You can even Google "Dell power adapter recall" and or your model number to get more specific information before calling them.  Don't take no for an answer.

Good luck!!

4 Posts

December 16th, 2007 16:00

Agent Mom and everyone else on this Forum,

With all due respect, getting a new adapter is not going to solve this problem. I have had 3 adapters since I've had this laptop. Doesn't matter.  It's still the MOTHERBOARD.  The Motherboard that costs $500!! The one that if you buy will fail again in 3-6 months.  The guy who said something about a are you serious because if you are I am on board.  As a matter of fact, I have a 1st cousin whose father is a senior partner of one of the most reknown law firms for that here in Philly in the country...I will email you next.

12 Posts

December 16th, 2007 21:00

Add me to your next email.  I'm on board for a fight as well.

1.1K Posts

December 17th, 2007 11:00

agentmom:

The Dell Adapter Recall Program was a voluntary recall initiated for overheating concerns on adapters sold with certain Dell notebooks. This was a concern with the notebook adapter itself and was not related to any motherboard issues with Inspiron 6000 systems.

If you believe you may be affected by this voluntary recall, please refer to the following link for more information:

Dell Adapter Recall Program

Regards,

6 Posts

December 19th, 2007 18:00

well I don't have a 6000 but a D610. I have confirmed using another laptop that neither the battery or the power adapter are at fault. Going to see if it might be fixed with a power plug change on the motherboard. Also on this laptop the power adapter shows unknown. Panzer
No Events found!