Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

C

76 Posts

December 7th, 2007 05:00

Inspiron 6000 Vista Drivers Not Available?

What happened to the Vista drivers for the Inspiron 6000. They were there a few weeks ago and now it seems that they're gone. Vista is not an option in the drop down list. I'm running Vista fine on my Inspiron 6000... with the drivers I downloaded a few weeks ago... but am distressed that I don't see them there anymore. What gives?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 7th, 2007 10:00

If you choose 32-bit Vista, the drivers are there.

44 Posts

December 7th, 2007 10:00

I check frequently, never saw Vista drivers listed. I am running the 6000 also, no issues with Vista - but I would like to see a 'drivers' section listed.

sc

44 Posts

December 7th, 2007 11:00

I just checked, we must be looking in different places. I do not see Vista 32 bit drivers listed.

This is what I see..

76 Posts

December 7th, 2007 16:00

Same here scott4991. But I KNOW they were there about 2 months ago. That's how I got my system up and running with Vista. Specifically there were Vista drivers for the Sigmatel Sound card, updated ATI X300 video drivers, and Intel 2200BG wireless drivers. They all worked great. There were no Vista drivers for the Alps touchpad (so I could disable Tap-To-Click), but I got them off the support page for another Dell system (I forget which but the file no was R140031).

I'm a little disappointed if Dell chooses to not support this fairly not old laptop with Vista. It's a sign that Dell's support has not improved much lately and is still pretty bad.

44 Posts

December 7th, 2007 18:00

Well, my Inspiron may be 'old', but I bought the best I could buy at the time. The display is great, 7200rpm disk (only 60 gig though), good graphics,... I like the machine and it's running well with Vista. I now use this as my primary comptuer and am considering upgrading the processor from 1.8g to 2.x or so.. but just thinking on this. My "high speed" desktop being older than this one, is not faster and is running Win2000 still - however I have 2-200gig drives in that one, so it houses all my images and videos.

I also hope Dell keeps supporting this computer.. it's a nice one.

sc

76 Posts

December 7th, 2007 20:00

scott4991 wrote:
Well, my Inspiron may be 'old', but I bought the best I could buy at the time. The display is great, 7200rpm disk (only 60 gig though), good graphics,... I like the machine and it's running well with Vista. I now use this as my primary comptuer and am considering upgrading the processor from 1.8g to 2.x or so.. but just thinking on this. My "high speed" desktop being older than this one, is not faster and is running Win2000 still - however I have 2-200gig drives in that one, so it houses all my images and videos.

I also hope Dell keeps supporting this computer.. it's a nice one.

sc

Me too. And I said "not old." Vista came out just a few months after I purchased it.. although I waited almost a year before taking the plunge. I have the 2ghz, 2gb ram, and I can say without a doubt that Vista is much much faster then XP was on this machine. Loading Visual Studio 2005 takes 3 seconds, while it took 18 or more in XP. (I'm suspecting Superfetch taking advantage of the 2GB ram makes all the difference).

There was a time when Dell went out of their way to have pretty decent continuing driver support. It's what set them apart from the likes of Toshiba. Not anymore. I've owned 3 Dell high-end Inspirons in the last 9 years... with one slip up to an (awesome) Gateway back in the day. This is likely my last Dell. Decent machine.... but there are way way better choices on the market nowadays.

1.5K Posts

December 7th, 2007 20:00

cmoya wrote:

There was a time when Dell went out of their way to have pretty decent continuing driver support.

We have at least some Vista drivers for the 6000, there just is not a selection for Vista in the download menu. The reason for that is customers were complaining that the drivers and downloads page was to complicated with that many OS selections. A decision was made to simplify it by only listing OS's that are supported. You can still get what Vista drivers are available by searching. Try This

44 Posts

December 7th, 2007 21:00

Hey Cmoya,

Sorry to hear your opinion of Dell. I just bought 2 1420's for my kids for Christmas - 2.4Ghz, 2G ram, but not crazy about the screen.. not great resolution. I really like the 1920x1200 resolution.. and what's with the TrueColor - or whatever they call it.. it's like a mirror.. very reflective - I'm sure the color is good, but I don't like it. Sent my first 2 1420's back becasue of this.. so let me guess, you have the TrueColor.. ?? not for me is all.

I will consider looking around when I get my next laptop. I will give this I6000 to my wife sometime this next year and I will get a new one with larger hard drive and faster processor.

I'll keep watching for drivers - but all is running fine.

sc

76 Posts

December 7th, 2007 22:00

DELL-Jimmy P wrote:

cmoya wrote:

There was a time when Dell went out of their way to have pretty decent continuing driver support.

We have at least some Vista drivers for the 6000, there just is not a selection for Vista in the download menu. The reason for that is customers were complaining that the drivers and downloads page was to complicated with that many OS selections. A decision was made to simplify it by only listing OS's that are supported. You can still get what Vista drivers are available by searching. Try This

Ah! OK. That is an extremely convoluted solution and frought with peril! It's tough to decipher which driver to use and you could easily end up installing a driver intended for another system. 

But, it's better than nothing! Thanks!

P.S.
Wouldn't a better solution be to include an "Unsupported Operating Systems" drop down or link? I find it hard to believe that users were really complaining about too much choice? And is Vista not "supported" by Dell on this fairly new machine because there are bugs are Dell just doesn't want to support it period. Probably the latter. And, not for nothing, but that is the definition of "lack of driver support."

44 Posts

December 8th, 2007 02:00

I agree, I looked at the link and did not even bother to try and figure it out. Was not much help to me. Perhaps DELL can do better than this ? Perhaps not!

sc

1 Message

September 23rd, 2012 22:00

I just installed Vista Ultimate on a Inspiron 6000 . The only device that Vista did not automatically set-up for me was the Audio.

I run the set-up for the original XP driver (R99254) ...for that Audio device  ....and viola ....I got sound working perfectly on Vista using the XP driver.

A check of the device manager shows that ALL divices are installed and working correctly ....and my tests have confirmed that.

In other words ...there are no special drivers you need ...Just the Vista install ...and the original XP audio driver...( Which is R99254 ...and which can be easily downloaded if you don't have it.

CHEERS .):emotion-5:

No Events found!