Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 15th, 2009 13:00

Inspiron 6000 and Windows 7

I installed Win7 RC on an 1501 just to play around with it and all the drivers worked but the video driver gave me some issues. It wouldn't display the aero theme, you couldn't preview the desktop when you paused on show desktop, and I can't preview open programs by pausing on them with my mouse. The deal is I have a 6000 that is setup like I like it with XP so I dont want to upgrade to Win7 and have it not work. Has anyone had any problems with an Inspiron 6000 and Windows 7?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 15th, 2009 14:00

Windows 7 has the same hardware requirements as Vista - and since you can't run Aero on this machine under Vista, you won't be able to run it under Windows 7.  If you decide on the upgrade, forget the Premium and Ultimate versions  - only the Basic version will be fully useable, just as with Vista.

1 Message

November 3rd, 2009 05:00

I loaded windows 7 on my Inspiron 6000 and got the driver from Intel - used the 915gm for Vista - works fine no problems - I just can't find the quickset driver for the buttons on the front - which at this point is really not a big problem since I don't use them much any way.

Stoneman512

1 Message

December 8th, 2009 01:00

Hello stoneman,

where did you found the Vista / Windows 7 driver for the 915gm. On intel's homepage I only was able to download the old XP driver.

Kind regards

1 Message

December 31st, 2009 15:00

Windows 7 works great on my Inspiron 6000. It even seems a bit faster than XP.  I have to run the theme in "Basic" mode, but that's alright. I don't need it to look pretty. Windows couldn't find the audio driver, but the driver from the dell website fixed the problem right away.

No Events found!