Highlighted
GrampaJayBee
1 Copper

Inspiron 6000 battery woes

My Dell battery died (I think) so I bought a generic at the local battery store.  It is not acting right. and is now acting just like the old one did before it died.  At first it took 24 hours to charge.  The first discharge went down too fast to 54% in less than an hour and then jumped to 5%.  I ran it to shutdown and recharged, again another 24 hours, it would not charge at all while operating, only in standby or off.  The second discharge seemed pretty normal and it recharged fairly quickly but only in standby or shutdown.

But now it will not charge at all even though the charge light is on and the battery icon say it is charging.  It has gone from 45% to 44% in half an hour with the ac adapter on the whole time.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
19 Replies
J2Kidder
2 Bronze

Re: Inspiron 6000 battery woes

GrampaJayBee - Jeff Here

Do not be offended but I like to srart at the beginning and Assume Nothing.

How old is your Inspiron 6000.

I asume you are no longer on warranty...please let me know if you are.

Is the new battery still returnable?

Since, both batteries seem to end up having the same problem, the problem MAY BE the power cord that connects to the 6000. Or, possibly the "Power Suply" that the cord plugs into.

Did you check Dell for a replacement battery. I am NOT a DELL rep but, I've found Dell is often the best/cheapest supplier of replacement parts.

I have many Dell customers in my private business. I just do this Forum to help folks...

Please help me the info I asked and you & I can resolve this.

Jeff

0 Kudos
GrampaJayBee
1 Copper

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the response.  The Inspiron is 5 years old, warranty done long ago.

I have two ac adapters, one at home, one in the office.  Both act the same way.  I could probably return the battery but am reluctant to buy another one from Dell unless I was reasonably sure that it would solve the problem.

The new battery has charged fully several times but refuses to do so now.  Discharge seems normal.

Last night it was off and connected to the ac adapter but charges only to 45%.  The charge light was off when I got to it this morning.

TIA

John

0 Kudos
J2Kidder
2 Bronze

GrampaJayBee - Jeff still hewre (I'm a proud GP too),

It sounds more & more like a "Power Cable or Computer Power Supply  problem".  Let me do some Internet searches & see how many folks also have this problem. If you can, (I know this may sound silly) but try a different power input(wall, or power strip).  After 37-years in this computer-business, I can tell you that you are NEVER ALONE with a problem.  Usually 1000's or more have the same problem.

Hang loose...I'll be back. Thanks for the info. It will help me.

Jeff

0 Kudos
J2Kidder
2 Bronze

Grandpa - Jeff - another Proud Grandpa,

It appears as though your battery was on a "RECALL" from DELL, in 2006. Call Dell Hardware Support and tell them that you want them to honor the RECALL  identified by the below!

Check out this info:   

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Announced in 2006 Dear Dell Customer,

Dell has identified a potential issue associated with certain batteries sold with Dell Latitude™, Inspiron™, XPS™ and Dell Precision Mobile Workstation™ notebook computers. In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and other regulatory agencies, Dell is voluntarily recalling certain Dell-branded batteries with cells manufactured by Sony and offering free replacements for these batteries.  Under rare conditions, it is possible for these batteries to overheat, which could pose a risk of fire.

Potentially affected batteries were sold with the following models of Dell notebook computers or separately as secondary batteries:

• Latitude: D410, D500, D505, D510, D520, D600, D610, D620, D800, D810
  • Inspiron: 500M, 510M, 600M, 700M, 710M, 6000, 6400, 8500, 8600, 9100, 9200, 9300, 9400, E1505, E1705
  • Precision: M20, M60, M70, M90
  • XPS: XPS, XPS Gen2, XPS M170, XPS M1710

0 Kudos
J2Kidder
2 Bronze

GrampaJ - Grandpa Jeff again...

Please let me kow if you get this problem resolved, or not. . Again I am NOT a DELL employee, just a volunteer tech.

However, I do have a friend in this category of support that is. If you do not get satisfaction, I will be more than happy to contact him,

regarding your issue.

Let me know.

Respectfully,

Jeff

0 Kudos
GrampaJayBee
1 Copper

I used the recall to replace my battery back then.  The one that just died is the replacement, 3 years old.

Today, in the office, the battery charged up normally after giving me a bit of a fight.  The charge light kept blinking on and off and finally stayed on and the battery recharged.

I am wondering if I am having some kind of a charging circuit/hardware problem.

John

0 Kudos
J2Kidder
2 Bronze

John,

It may be that the contacts on the computer are warn/dirty or the contacts on the plug are. If jockying the cord around

when inserting it works...it's the plug and/or the plug's contacts. I've run into tons of those problems, including my own. 

Jeff

0 Kudos
J2Kidder
2 Bronze

John,

Is the battery HOLDING CHARGE?

0 Kudos
GrampaJayBee
1 Copper

Yes, it holds a charge.

Sometimes this acts like a hardware problem: moving the ac adapter cable causes the charge light to come on and go off.

Other times it acts like a software problem: it will not come out of standby unless I disconnect the ac adapter.

0 Kudos