Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2009 17:00

Inspiron 6000 battery woes

My Dell battery died (I think) so I bought a generic at the local battery store.  It is not acting right. and is now acting just like the old one did before it died.  At first it took 24 hours to charge.  The first discharge went down too fast to 54% in less than an hour and then jumped to 5%.  I ran it to shutdown and recharged, again another 24 hours, it would not charge at all while operating, only in standby or off.  The second discharge seemed pretty normal and it recharged fairly quickly but only in standby or shutdown.

But now it will not charge at all even though the charge light is on and the battery icon say it is charging.  It has gone from 45% to 44% in half an hour with the ac adapter on the whole time.

Any ideas?

43 Posts

October 29th, 2009 02:00

GrampaJayBee - Jeff Here

Do not be offended but I like to srart at the beginning and Assume Nothing.

How old is your Inspiron 6000.

I asume you are no longer on warranty...please let me know if you are.

Is the new battery still returnable?

Since, both batteries seem to end up having the same problem, the problem MAY BE the power cord that connects to the 6000. Or, possibly the "Power Suply" that the cord plugs into.

Did you check Dell for a replacement battery. I am NOT a DELL rep but, I've found Dell is often the best/cheapest supplier of replacement parts.

I have many Dell customers in my private business. I just do this Forum to help folks...

Please help me the info I asked and you & I can resolve this.

Jeff

October 29th, 2009 03:00

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the response.  The Inspiron is 5 years old, warranty done long ago.

I have two ac adapters, one at home, one in the office.  Both act the same way.  I could probably return the battery but am reluctant to buy another one from Dell unless I was reasonably sure that it would solve the problem.

The new battery has charged fully several times but refuses to do so now.  Discharge seems normal.

Last night it was off and connected to the ac adapter but charges only to 45%.  The charge light was off when I got to it this morning.

TIA

John

43 Posts

October 29th, 2009 04:00

Grandpa - Jeff - another Proud Grandpa,

It appears as though your battery was on a "RECALL" from DELL, in 2006. Call Dell Hardware Support and tell them that you want them to honor the RECALL  identified by the below!

Check out this info:   

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Announced in 2006 Dear Dell Customer,

Dell has identified a potential issue associated with certain batteries sold with Dell Latitude™, Inspiron™, XPS™ and Dell Precision Mobile Workstation™ notebook computers. In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and other regulatory agencies, Dell is voluntarily recalling certain Dell-branded batteries with cells manufactured by Sony and offering free replacements for these batteries.  Under rare conditions, it is possible for these batteries to overheat, which could pose a risk of fire.

Potentially affected batteries were sold with the following models of Dell notebook computers or separately as secondary batteries:

• Latitude: D410, D500, D505, D510, D520, D600, D610, D620, D800, D810
  • Inspiron: 500M, 510M, 600M, 700M, 710M, 6000, 6400, 8500, 8600, 9100, 9200, 9300, 9400, E1505, E1705
  • Precision: M20, M60, M70, M90
  • XPS: XPS, XPS Gen2, XPS M170, XPS M1710

43 Posts

GrampaJayBee - Jeff still hewre (I'm a proud GP too),

It sounds more & more like a "Power Cable or Computer Power Supply  problem".  Let me do some Internet searches & see how many folks also have this problem. If you can, (I know this may sound silly) but try a different power input(wall, or power strip).  After 37-years in this computer-business, I can tell you that you are NEVER ALONE with a problem.  Usually 1000's or more have the same problem.

Hang loose...I'll be back. Thanks for the info. It will help me.

Jeff

43 Posts

GrampaJ - Grandpa Jeff again...

Please let me kow if you get this problem resolved, or not. . Again I am NOT a DELL employee, just a volunteer tech.

However, I do have a friend in this category of support that is. If you do not get satisfaction, I will be more than happy to contact him,

regarding your issue.

Let me know.

Respectfully,

Jeff

October 29th, 2009 07:00

I used the recall to replace my battery back then.  The one that just died is the replacement, 3 years old.

Today, in the office, the battery charged up normally after giving me a bit of a fight.  The charge light kept blinking on and off and finally stayed on and the battery recharged.

I am wondering if I am having some kind of a charging circuit/hardware problem.

John

43 Posts

October 29th, 2009 19:00

John,

It may be that the contacts on the computer are warn/dirty or the contacts on the plug are. If jockying the cord around

when inserting it works...it's the plug and/or the plug's contacts. I've run into tons of those problems, including my own. 

Jeff

43 Posts

October 29th, 2009 19:00

John,

Is the battery HOLDING CHARGE?

October 31st, 2009 16:00

Yes, it holds a charge.

Sometimes this acts like a hardware problem: moving the ac adapter cable causes the charge light to come on and go off.

Other times it acts like a software problem: it will not come out of standby unless I disconnect the ac adapter.

4 Posts

October 31st, 2009 17:00

Hi guys.

Have exactly the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 9300! There is a checking devise on the battery showing 4 out of 5 green lights, so I guess it is working. But the pc will not charge, and the charge light comes on and off if I flick the cord from the adapter. If you find a solution it would be much appreciated!

Rgds from Norway!

43 Posts

October 31st, 2009 20:00

John,

Trying a replacement cable is an easy fix/test. You can always take it back. Power problems on all Laptops can cause all

kinds of problems.

You can visually inspect the little power posts. I assume you only replaced the battery, not input Jack on the computer or power cord.

That's all I can think of at this point...

Good luck.

Jeff 

43 Posts

October 31st, 2009 20:00

Hello Norway.

Please see my post above.

Jeff

Rgds from America!

43 Posts

November 1st, 2009 01:00

Hello Fin / Norway, Jeff - I purchase Dells because I can usually use them until I JUST WANT to upgrade my technology. I then give them away to family and they use them for years. In fact, I am sending an Inspiron 2650 (2001/2002?) across country to my nephew. His battery is also dead, but that is his choice to just leave it plugged-in always. He is now going to get a battery because his computer is running like a champ (I am not bragging).

All laptops can have battery/cord/electrical problems due to removing and inserting the power cord.

The opposite problem I have often seen,(this is just an opinion of mine, and I am not a Dell-certified technician, but often the battery Charge retention problems occur when any manufacturers' Laptop is Always plugged in. The batteries lose their capacity to store a good charge.

Please let me know if this helps.

RGDS, Jeff  

4 Posts

Thanks Jeff.

I have however tried several power cords, and the problem does not lay there. If it is a problem with the power supply, I guess this is not an easy fix - but a rather expensive, and probably not economically wise? My laptop is from 2006, but haven't used it the last year due to this irritating problem. Now I can't even get it to start due to this.

Rgds

Finn / Norway

43 Posts

Hello Fin / Norway.  A 2006 Computer is still a good computer. The charging light generally goes off/on when the system is Charging. Then, when charged, it goes off. If you "jiggle the cord" does your computer react at all? It could be the electrical contacts in the computer port that the power cable plugs in to. Did you visually Inspect them to see if they are All there? If you already did, sorry for the suggestion. Are your fan(s) kicking on when you boot the computer. It could be the power supply, or possibly the battery.

Please let me know.

Jeff

No Events found!