AskerTiger
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 6000 battery woes

Hi guys.

Have exactly the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 9300! There is a checking devise on the battery showing 4 out of 5 green lights, so I guess it is working. But the pc will not charge, and the charge light comes on and off if I flick the cord from the adapter. If you find a solution it would be much appreciated!

Rgds from Norway!

0 Kudos
J2Kidder
2 Bronze

John,

Trying a replacement cable is an easy fix/test. You can always take it back. Power problems on all Laptops can cause all

kinds of problems.

You can visually inspect the little power posts. I assume you only replaced the battery, not input Jack on the computer or power cord.

That's all I can think of at this point...

Good luck.

Jeff 

0 Kudos
J2Kidder
2 Bronze

Hello Norway.

Please see my post above.

Jeff

Rgds from America!

0 Kudos
AskerTiger
1 Copper

Thanks Jeff.

I have however tried several power cords, and the problem does not lay there. If it is a problem with the power supply, I guess this is not an easy fix - but a rather expensive, and probably not economically wise? My laptop is from 2006, but haven't used it the last year due to this irritating problem. Now I can't even get it to start due to this.

Rgds

Finn / Norway

0 Kudos
J2Kidder
2 Bronze

Hello Fin / Norway.  A 2006 Computer is still a good computer. The charging light generally goes off/on when the system is Charging. Then, when charged, it goes off. If you "jiggle the cord" does your computer react at all? It could be the electrical contacts in the computer port that the power cable plugs in to. Did you visually Inspect them to see if they are All there? If you already did, sorry for the suggestion. Are your fan(s) kicking on when you boot the computer. It could be the power supply, or possibly the battery.

Please let me know.

Jeff

0 Kudos
J2Kidder
2 Bronze

Hello Fin / Norway, Jeff - I purchase Dells because I can usually use them until I JUST WANT to upgrade my technology. I then give them away to family and they use them for years. In fact, I am sending an Inspiron 2650 (2001/2002?) across country to my nephew. His battery is also dead, but that is his choice to just leave it plugged-in always. He is now going to get a battery because his computer is running like a champ (I am not bragging).

All laptops can have battery/cord/electrical problems due to removing and inserting the power cord.

The opposite problem I have often seen,(this is just an opinion of mine, and I am not a Dell-certified technician, but often the battery Charge retention problems occur when any manufacturers' Laptop is Always plugged in. The batteries lose their capacity to store a good charge.

Please let me know if this helps.

RGDS, Jeff  

0 Kudos
GrampaJayBee
1 Copper

I think that I have solved my "battery" problem. I cleaned the ac adapter connector and its mate on the laptop and the problems seem to be gone.  Cleaning them is not simple.  I have a contact cleaner called De-Oxit which is pricey but good.  I sprayed that into the connector and then pushed a small piece of plastic scrub material into the connector and moved it about as best I could.

So far, both ac adapters are charging the battery normally.

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
J2Kidder
2 Bronze

John, and all other posts...

Great JOB. I figured you would resolve this for you and all othersl

Jeff

0 Kudos
AskerTiger
1 Copper

I will definately have to try this! Have talked to a repair guy at the local store who never had had such an experience himself, but was of the opinion that it would most probably be a problem with the pins, either in the laptop or in the plug. The laptop contact is "welded" directly to the motherboard (or ?) and it would not be economically to have it changed/repaired. (Find that a bit strange, as it should be a rather small job to fix it, or?)

Hopefully this will help me too, 'cause the pc should do the job for at least a couple of more years. emoticon.Smile.title

0 Kudos
AskerTiger
1 Copper

Didn't help me..... emoticon.Sad.title

Still same problem, and the guy at the computer store said it wouldn't be economically to ask them to clean and "possibly" fix it (without even looking at it....).

0 Kudos