Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Re: Inspiron 600m and Windows 98: Drivers available / downloadable?

It's normal for vendors of mobile parts to reference the OEM for drivers - that's why Dell provides drivers for all of the devices, for the OS that came installed on the computer.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to run Win98 instead of WinXP, unless (as in my case), they have programs that won't run under XP. I got my 98 partition up and running, and my Dos-based programs run fine under it, but I use WinXP for everything else, since it's a more stable OS, and it's easier to work in than 98.

For sound issues, I had problems as well while running under the manufacturer's drivers. The last time, I tried some Dell drivers (for the Inspiron 4000, an older model than mine), which didn't solve the problem, and then I installed drivers from ESS (the manufacturer of the card). This seemed to work... maybe there is something missing in the drivers provided by the manufacturer that Dell includes? Of course, if there aren't any Dell drivers for your card, this may not be a solution that works for you. Maybe there are drivers for older iterations of the card?

0 Kudos
3 Argentum

My needs for 98 are a little simpler...

People like to call me (at all hours) for advice on their computer.  It's been so long since I used 98, that I am rusty.  I just figured it would be nice to boot into 98 to see what they are looking at, instead of guessing.

The greedy part of my alter-ego wants it to work!

(Now if I could just get it to emulate from within XP, so I wouldn't have to reboot........)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Man, I love this forum.

OK - got the sound, Radeon 9000 video (1280, not 1450), CDRW/DVD (via suggestion), Intel Chipset, and my Belkin 16bit PCMCIA network card (which allowed me to access network, windows updates, etc.).  I have a 600m Inspiron.

Still need:

Modem

Alps Touchpad (I believe the ALPS site has some really old ones from like '96 or something) (see next post)

Integrated Broadcom   (see next post)

Wireless 1300 (mini-pci) - I really want this one!

Bluetooth Module

Smartcard

Fans - For some reason, the fan seems to run on High all the time.  Better than not running at all!

Volume Controls

The USB appears to be working, as it's detected.  I haven't tried it yet.  I realize that the above items are going to be the hardest to find, if at all possible.  If I find anything (that works), I will post it here.  Hope you guys do, as well!

Thanks again!

-John

PS - I'm going to dig out my TRS-80 now...This is fun

Message Edited by incognito_user on 02-01-2004 09:10 PM

Message Edited by incognito_user on 02-01-2004 10:07 PM

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Found the 98 drivers from Broadcom here:

http://www.broadcom.com/drivers/downloaddrivers.php

That covers the 570 integrated ethernet.  Still looking for the Wireless 1300.

Also need the touchpad drivers from Alps.  I'm sure I can get som genric ones, but I like the scroll functions in the later versions.  Anyone?

Found some generic ALPS Touchpad drivers here:

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?action=downloadnow&driverid=60165&from_ums=1

If you need to login, use:

login:             drivers

password:     all

Hope that helps!

Message Edited by incognito_user on 02-01-2004 10:11 PM

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Dell has some TrueMobile drivers for 2000... wonder if those would work?

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=DHS&cat=sup|dyd&cs=19&k=truemobile+1300&img=True&sum...

If you can't adjust the volume, you need other sound card drivers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I might try the ALPS touchpad drivers, but I found that my touchpad worked right off the bat.

I was poking around with the Dell Drivers and Utilities disk and managed to (partially?) install something called "quickset".  It comes up in the system tray.  When I try to open it, I get the message "You do not have adequate rights to set power schemes.  Contact your system administrator".  Yea, sure I will.  Seems I can control on-screen brightness, volume, wireless activity indictor with this (or at least that's the theory).  Oh- now when I press the small speaker mute or volume control buttons an on-screen volume control slider pops up (but it doesn't respond to the volume buttons). 

From the Dell cd I also installed something called the Modem Helper.  It tells me that an unsupported modem was detected so it can't help me.  Brilliant. 

Broadcom Advanced Control Suite (v.6.13) doesn't seem to work properly (tells me the 570x driver isin't loaded).

Although the sound effects come through just fine, and I can play digital audio from the internet, I don't think I can play CD's (they play, but I can't hear them).

My fan comes on and off so there's some automatic control kicking in there.

I've installed a "Dazzle" USB compact-flash reader and it works so the USB ports are working ok.

And- I don't think I'm going to be able to get the floppy working via the USB cable.  I took the floppy apart and it's a Sony.  Model number is MPF820U (go ahead and google that - you won't get anything).  Another number on it is U5/1D6 and also 4-671-035-31.  I've been able to find a Sony MPF820, but it's listed as having an IDE interface.  It's really the same floppy.  There is a very small board that translates IDE signals into USB that goes to the main floppy board.  I've tried a few old VAIO floppy drivers but they don't work.

I have the "port replicator" for this 600m (kinda s*cks that the older Inspiron's have a docking station where you slide the laptop into, rather than drop in onto this "replicator" which I don't think I like doing).  Anyways, I connected the replicator and turned on the 600m.  Windows started in VGA mode and said it detected a new configuration (and it called it "dock1") and it did some sort of reconfiguration and then did a re-start.  Trouble is it stayed in VGA and I had to force-feed it the Radeon drivers.  Ethernet port (and external mouse port) worked fine.

I've done the Windows-update thing (nice that Micro$oft is still supporting 98 that way), installed DirectX 9, Media player, updated Intermet Exploiter, and now it's time to crack open my MSDN and install good old Office 2000 Pro...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks for your post

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

DELL-Cares
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

I'm not going to sleep tonight...

I'm having mixed results w/ a wireless driver I found on Gateway's site.  They use the Broadcom chip (same as 1300).

I get a good signal, recognize the Wireless Network Name, and can adjust the settings, but cannot get through the internet.  I think it's a Win98 bug (seems likely).  I'll get it.

I won't post the link until  I know it works, but it's not that hard to find.  Look in the downloads for 600 series laptops (it's listed as XP/2000 only, but it installed).  There are 98 drivers included, go figure.  I may play w/ Dell's install to see if they include the drivers in the folder.

I'm in "XP mode", right now;  Going back to "98 mode" to play...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

To install windows-98 Radeon Mobility drivers on your Dell (well, specifically the 600m but maybe many other Dell's with ATI chips) do this:

Download this file (rad_w9x_omega_2633.exe)

http://downloads.driverheaven.net/omega/rad_w9x_omega_2633.exe

(Which is from this page if you're interested: http://www.driverheaven.net/downloads/index4.htm)

Run that program (it will unpack itself somewhere - I forget where).  Run the install.  The install failed for me.  Doesn't matter.  If it fails for you too, do this:  Go to the Display Adapter in your device manager and re-install the driver manually.  Use the "have disk" method.  It will be looking for an INF file.  Point it to the directory where the Omega drivers were unpacked.  There will be 2 INF files in one of the directories.  The files have the same names except one has an "8" and the other has a "9" in it.  I used the first one (8).  I don't know what the difference is between them.

There will be a long list of adapter names (they should end in Omega).  For the Inspiron 600m, I chose the plain Radeon 9000 Omega.  After it installed I was able to change the display to 1400 x 1050.  Through the docking port I was able to get the dual display going (expanded desktop across 2 monitors).

Apparently there is a program called a "DH Mod tool".  This program modifies certain files from the catalyst set so you can install the latest catalyst set on your laptop.

Here is some info:

http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/

Patje's Mobility Modding
This page will tell you all about the DH Mod tool V1.7.

Other links that might be of interest:

http://www.techspot.com/drivers/index/file/download/2048
http://www.omegacorner.com/index_ati.html
http://xxlpack.ovh.net/~stationd/page/atidriv.htm

Still trying to get the modem working (the modem driver is installed and reports that everything is OK but it doesn't create a COM-2 port to link to the modem).  This is the only modem driver that actually installed successfully:  Msi_MS-6946_win9xme.zip - got it from one of those driver web-sites - the one where you use "user-name:  drivers  /  password: all".

Have stopped looking for USB driver for floppy.  If you find one please post.

If you find out how to have the computer turn itself off when you shut down, please post.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Make sure your wireless/bluetooth is turned off.  If that works and your computer shuts down, that may be the culprit.  Mine would hang at the part that says Windows is Shutting Down.

I was able to successfully install the bluetooth drivers using Dell's download (go figure - it's supposed to be for XP).  Can't verify whether they work, but it solved the Shut Down issue.

Let me know if that works.

Still no luck on the Wireless - actually took a step backwords by, I think, forcing something else to use a generic driver.  I could use some suggestions on how to undo that.

Someone just told me about a couple of programs that will allow you to run other OS's from within XP.  VMWARE and Virtual PC (Microsoft).  Apparently, they trick the system into running from inside a folder, instead of on a partition.  Anyone ever try these?  Probably open up a new can of worms...

0 Kudos