Hoping someone is familiar with basic laptop diagnostics.
While plugged in with the AC adadpor and in use the laptop shut down without warning (much like the battery died and the computer was not plugged in).
The laptop is completely non responsive and cannot be powered up.
The power (light) indicator on the AC adapter works until plugged into the computer and then the light goes out (assume this indicates a short in the laptop).
I've tried another AC adapter with the same results (in case the first was shorting out).
I have tried removing the battery (in case it was shorting out).
Sounds like the internal power supply or maybe something more serious?
There is no way to know short of having it evaluated by a shop capable of doing board-level repairs, whether it's the jack or the mainboard.
Since the cost of a replacement board is about what a repair would cost, it's probably a better idea to simply replace the board if you intend to keep the system in service.