Notebookfixer
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 600m does not power up, flashing LED's (intermittent problem)

Isn't this problem related to a failed Power Jack?

I have replaced it after intermitent power failures (some of them showing the leds blink)

The center pin was broken (is very thin, as you can see in the picture here: http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?impactcomputersmiami+rwB4XL+imp-135134.html+ )

The failure disappear after replacement.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
gerg1
1 Copper

I was given this laptop a few days ago to fix, It had all the symptoms, blinking lights, battery or no battery...same stuff. I read where some one said that they twisted the machine to make it come on and I thought they were twisted...so when no one was looking, I twisted it....and LO N BEHOLD...I WORKED! How long is that gunna last? Oh well, It has made it 6 or 7 years by now. I just re-installed a used HDD in it before I noticed the problem, Seems like a nice little machine...Just ride the wave till it hits shore I guss....or never turn it off...........................

0 Kudos
gerg1
1 Copper

A couple of days later after trying some undesirable methods of starting this computer, I tried putting the pc in "stand by" mode instead of shutting it off completely (once it was started), which keeps the Mobo mostly  energized, stops the HDD, almost as if it was off. When I open the lid, it lights up nicely and regains the wifi signal and I can go about things as usual. Once the machine has warmed some, I can restart it, and it comes around just fine. Transporting it may be an issue depending how good your battery is. If it needs replacing like mine, I guess I'll just have to hurry to an outlet. This seems to be working OK for me now, Hope this idea help someone else. Good luck..................over

Highlighted
imateski
1 Copper

Laptops that dont boot up and have leds blink usually points to a power related issue. There's a power regulating chip on the motherboard, a Maxim 1987 or Maxim 1532ETL that regulates voltages to all components on the motherboard. Thanks to heat-caused expansion and contraction of this chip, it loses contact on some of its 48 pins, and the laptop starts acting up. There are tons of improvizations to force this chip back into contact with the motherboard, but the best approach is to just go ahead and resolder it.

I've helped literally hundreds of people with this same problem, and today I just repaired a non booting lights flashing Dell Latitude D610 in for repair. You can find this Maxim chip at the bottom of the motherboard, next to the docking port. All you need to do is do a redistributive resolder. The link to the repair process is for a Toshiba, but the procedure is identical for any laptop with this problem.

0 Kudos
tedtronics
1 Copper

on 600m or d600 motherboard, there is absolutely not a maxim 1987 or 1532etl chip anywhere any ideas on what else the chip might be called.. There is also not any 40 pin chip around the docking connector Help!!!.

0 Kudos
imateski
1 Copper

try looking for a Maxim 87xx or 97xx, cant remember the exact code but the Max1987 was replaced by one of these chips.

DLSteed
1 Copper

I bought a used one with the same problem. It was something loose around the modem.  On mine, you could make it start by pressing really, really hard just below the power on switch, at about 5 oclock, right above the F8 key.  Good luck. Now mine has quit turning on, and the A light blinks.

0 Kudos
gerg1
1 Copper

I couldn't find my last post about this issue in here, but I do remember stating that I press firmly with all five fingers right in the area of the 890uiojkl to turn it on, I gave the PC to a friend and he is still using it today...and everyday several months later!...don't know how long it is going to last...the PC is a good strong running little machine though. I also received a d600 that was DOA. I got a mobo from ebay for 22 bucks and it did the same thing with the lights until I pressed firmly on the keyboard..this one much harder than the 600m...wasn't liking it much, so I had a 30 day warrenty on it, so I sent it back and they replaced it with a mobo that doesn't like the ATI mobility 9000 driver that it is supposed to take from the Dell website...So I am using it with the Microsoft driver that you get when you load XP...It's still a good runner....Try grabbing a cheap mobo off of ebay, there are a lot of them...be sure to match up you numbers and.make sure you get a warrenty with it...Good luck

0 Kudos