Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2009 16:00

Inspiron 600m does not power up, flashing LED's (intermittent problem)

I have a Dell Inspiron 600m from November 2004.  For the last month, I've had an intermittent problem when I attempt to turn on the notebook.  I'll press the power button and the three LED's (cap lock, num lock, and scroll lock) will blink rapidly for about five seconds and the power led will light up like normal.  After this five second period, the computer shows no signs of life.  If I repeat this process, eventually the computer will power up like nothing was ever wrong.

I've tried powering up the computer on a freshly charged battery, and I've tried removing the battery and using just the AC power supply.  Neither makes any difference.  I've also tried re-seating the RAM chips, the DVD drive, and the hard drive.  So far nothing seems to make any difference.

I've read other posts about this problem, but I haven't seen any definitive conclusion as to what is causing this type of problem.  It it's the motherboard, then the repair will probably cost more than the notebook is worth.  But, if it's the power button, it should be fairly cheap and easy to replace this.  (I can't imagine what else would cause this.)

Does anyone know what would cause the three LED's (cap lock, num lock, and scroll lock) to blink rapidly for about five seconds when the power on button is pressed?  And, has anyone encountered this problem and reached a successful resolution?

Thanks,

- Ed

1 Message

January 15th, 2012 20:00

I bought a used one with the same problem. It was something loose around the modem.  On mine, you could make it start by pressing really, really hard just below the power on switch, at about 5 oclock, right above the F8 key.  Good luck. Now mine has quit turning on, and the A light blinks.

5 Posts

January 15th, 2012 20:00

I couldn't find my last post about this issue in here, but I do remember stating that I press firmly with all five fingers right in the area of the 890uiojkl to turn it on, I gave the PC to a friend and he is still using it today...and everyday several months later!...don't know how long it is going to last...the PC is a good strong running little machine though. I also received a d600 that was DOA. I got a mobo from ebay for 22 bucks and it did the same thing with the lights until I pressed firmly on the keyboard..this one much harder than the 600m...wasn't liking it much, so I had a 30 day warrenty on it, so I sent it back and they replaced it with a mobo that doesn't like the ATI mobility 9000 driver that it is supposed to take from the Dell website...So I am using it with the Microsoft driver that you get when you load XP...It's still a good runner....Try grabbing a cheap mobo off of ebay, there are a lot of them...be sure to match up you numbers and.make sure you get a warrenty with it...Good luck

No Events found!