Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

December 8th, 2011 19:00

Inspiron 640m - Win7 compatable?

I have a 32bit Inspiron 640m and wanted to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7.

The Dell driver page for this laptop only shows options for xp and vista drivers.

Should I therefore assume the system is NOT compatable with Windows 7?

Thanks very much.  :)

4.4K Posts

December 8th, 2011 19:00

Run Microsoft's Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to find your answer.

If it will support Windows 7, you will need to find drivers that you can use for your notebook.  Dell doesn't support Windows 7 on that notebook but that doesn't mean you can't run Windows 7.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 11th, 2013 01:00

Ensure that you Clean Install Windows 7 see Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean install of Windows 7. Upgrading e.g. from Vista to 7 as you have probably done can cause an assortment of problems - likely you have some sort of driver conflicting which was installed in your old version of Windows. Clean installation will give you far superior performance. Ensure that you also have Windows 7 Service Pack 1 installed.

Regarding Drivers, for the Broadcom Ethernet Windows 7 has the driver inbuilt and it should fine without additional installation of a driver. The wireless card will also function using Windows 7 native driver.

After clean installation the drivers you need for this model for optimum performance of Windows 7 are available here Inspiron 640m - Windows 7 32 Bit.

Note that this is a Media Direct System and for optimum performance follow Windows Reinstallation Guide Step 7b before the Installation of Windows (Step 8) and Step 14a after the Windows installation.

1 Message

July 11th, 2013 01:00

HELP!  I ran the upgrade advisor and it said I could upgrade to Win 7 32 bit.  Now I can't connect to the internet wired/or wirelessly.  The connection icon says I have a strong connection yet I can't get any web pages showing up in my brower.

I can only connect to the internet in safe mode.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  There are no drivers I can find on any site to address this.

3 Posts

July 11th, 2013 09:00

Sorry...I did not notice you said you could connect via safe mode. Ignore my suggestion. I can't imagine that the issue has anything to do with admin privileges...so perhaps you will have to reinstall the os as has been suggested.

3 Posts

July 11th, 2013 09:00

If your connection icon says you have a strong connection, it is unlikely that there is anything wrong with your computer.

It certainly is not a sign of a bad installation.

What it typically means is that your device is not being allowed on the net by your ISP. (Bell, Rogers, etc)

Everyone must create an SSID name, and an encryption key to access the net via the modem your ISP gave you.

Have you looked at that aspect of the connection yet? If not, you should do this first.

No Events found!