Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 28th, 2017 10:00

Inspiron 7000 Gaming (7567) - Problem adding 2nd hard drive

Hello - 

I have an Inspiron 7567.  Been reading the forums to educate myself of any quirks or design considerations for this laptop as it's a bit different than the SATA-only laptops I've worked with in the past.

This particular model has a Toshiba m.2 512GB NVMe (PCIe-x4) SSD.  
Bios is configured for AHCI mode, not RAID.
Running Windows 10 1703
NVMe driver is presently Toshiba's RD400 driver v1.2.126.843.
AHCI driver is presently Intel's iaStorA (AHCI) driver v15.2.0.1020. 

That said, there's an empty standard 2.5" SATA slot in the laptop I want to take advantage of since m.2 + HDD was not a configuration option at purchase.  Which is fine, I have several spare HDDs to choose from. 

Problem:

• If I install a SSD in the SATA slot, the drive is not recognized, intel's utility shows "Internal Empty Port 1"
  • If I install a HDD in the SATA slow, the drive is recognized properly and is useable

Troubleshooting:

• Tried an Intel SSD Pro 2500 (360GB) from a Dell Precision T1700, not detected in BIOS or Windows
  • Tried a Crucial M500 SSD (250GB) from a retail box, not detected in BIOS or Windows
  • Tried a Seagate Momentus 7200.4 (500GB) from a retail box, detected and working properly
  • Updated Intel iaStorA drivers from A06 to A07, no change in behavior, SSDs are not recognized
  • Updated BIOS from 1.0.6 to 1.1.0, same results, SSDs are not recognized

Can anyone shine light on why this might be the case?  I've never seen a SATA controller in SATA mode not accept literally any drive it has been interfaced with.  I don't understand why the underlying type of drive would impact what was sitting behind the physical communications interface.  

Thanks!

1 Message

November 2nd, 2017 18:00

I am having the same issue with my Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming (Intel) - 7567 laptop. I wanted to upgrade the 512gb to an additional 1TB. Upon adding the new Samsung 850 V-NAND SSD it will not recognize in my c; drive. Any suggestions on being able to save/download all programs to the new SSD and heave the Toshiba for running OS? Thanks for the help

November 29th, 2017 07:00

Hi there, is there a solution for this problem? I just received my Inspiron 7000 Gaming 7577, and I have EXACT the same problem... The unit has a 256Gb PCIE NVME SSD and a 1Tb HDD. I swapped the hdd for a Crucial MX200 500GB SSD, I only see the PCIE SSD in windows, no matter what I try..

1 Message

December 11th, 2017 07:00

Brad or anybody else at Dell

I have a fairly similar issue (as do 2 other users who posted at the bottom of this forum with no reply to date...) I just purchased a new Dell 15 7567 with a Sandisk M2 256gb drive.  I tried adding a 2nd drive and have tried two options:

1. WD Blue SSD 250gb...result bios and windows does NOT see it

2. HGST 1TB HDD ...result same bios and windows does NOT see it.

This issue is getting very frustrating as I have updated all windows updates.  I do try your Dell SupportAssist and it finds a SATA driver that needs updating (15.7.3.1019, A01) however every time I update, it seems too quick to install and asks for a reboot.  Upon reboot, it still shows up as available update aka needs to be installed again.  

Please help with this issue.  On the verge of returning this, as on first startup I noticed horrendous wifi speeds with the included intel 3165 adapter.  I already had to purchase a new m2 wifi card intel 8265 as before the 3165 was limiting me to 10mbps on my AC backbone with gigabit internet.  now I get 400+mbps with the 8265.  

Thanks in advance

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 11th, 2017 09:00

I have a fairly similar issue (as do 2 other users who posted at the bottom of this forum with no reply to date...) I just purchased a new Dell 15 7567 with a Sandisk M2 256gb drive.  I tried adding a 2nd drive and have tried two options:

How do you have the SATA controller configured in the Bios?  If you have not modified your system's configuration then it is set to RAID.  I assume you can still boot normally after adding the second drive on the SATA cable but you can't format the new drive?

3 Posts

December 20th, 2017 07:00

SAME!!!! just bought the 7577. cant figure out why it wont accept my secondary ssd? I called dell, but that was an absolute joke. between their service, problems with m.2 drive running slow and now this issue with secondary ssd drive. I think im taking it back and going with a diff brand.

5 Posts

December 21st, 2017 07:00

laptop throttle down on using two ssd .

5 Posts

December 21st, 2017 12:00

similar issue,  when I installed the second 2.5" SSD (Crucial MX100 512GB) as the second SSD in my recently purchased 7577, the bios can find it fine. More detail about it , the second SSD has installed UEFI-booted windows 10 system in it.  And it can be booted fine. However, when I try to wipe the SSD off and install windows 10 freshly via UEFI-booted USB win10 disk,  Windows 10 installer just CANNOT find the SSD. DELL tech, please keep us updated about the solution for this issue. Thanks!  

5 Posts

January 2nd, 2018 07:00

are you using two ssd with the system

No Events found!