Highlighted
HL1995
Bronze

Inspiron 7000 Series 7559 Keyboard and Power Button Malfunctions (Computer Freezes)

Around once a month, my laptop's keyboard will randomly stop working out of nowhere. It doesn't matter if I am playing a game or just simply browsing Google Chrome. At the same time, the power button stops responding as well. The only way for me to turn off my laptop is to open up the panel under the laptop and pull the battery cable out. After replugging in the battery cable and rebooting, my laptop goes back to normal until a month later when one of these random freezes happens again.

I've tried factory resets and system restores but nothing has solved this problem. I was thinking that the root of the problem being with the actual keyboard's hardware but I am hesitant to open up my laptop unless I'm absolutely sure of the cause.

If anybody has also experienced this issue or has any suggestions, they are greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure what system specs I should provide so here is a screenshot of some general information about my laptop: i.gyazo.com/da92a4946a6acafa272ec0811f14c5e3.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ryan429
Bronze

RE: Inspiron 7000 Series 7559 Keyboard and Power Button Malfunctions (Computer Freezes)

Hi, this is happening to me now as well and it seems to correlate with intense gaming in which the laptop heats up quite a bit. I would suggest a deep cleaning followed by a reapplication of thermal pad/paste. I have not opened it up myself, but the temperature under the keyboard might be hot enough to cause an error or a safety lock out.

0 Kudos
HL1995
Bronze

RE: Inspiron 7000 Series 7559 Keyboard and Power Button Malfunctions (Computer Freezes)

The problem turns out to be some sort of battery software setting that I'm not sure how to change. My workaround was open the laptop and disconnect the battery, and basically use it as a desktop. Pretty odd solution, but I haven't had a freeze in months now.

0 Kudos