Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2010 00:00

Inspiron 710m totally freezes

Hi,

I have an Inspiron 710m which randomly totally freezes.  Only holding the power button to switch it off works.  Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work.

There is no pattern to when it freezes.  It might freeze before getting to the Windows (XP) logon screen.  It might run for hours before freezing.  I was able to copy all data from it (took a couple of hours) and it didn't freeze, but it could freeze when just sitting idle 5 minutes after loggin on.

There is nothing in the Windows Event Viewer indicating what is causing it.  It froze once while running a checkdisk, before Windows had fully started.  Booting into Safe Mode makes no difference.

I have run the internal diagnostics that come with the laptop.  There are tons of diagnostic processes that run, checking RAM, HDD, CPU and they all ran fine.  I have run Spinrite on it, I have run memtest86+ and they all report no problems.

It is out of warranty of course.

Has anyone experienced something similar, and if so were you able to fix it?

thanks

jc

539 Posts

February 9th, 2010 12:00

First thought : bad erratic MEMORY.

Had multiple instances dealing with this kind of behavior.

Read about Laptop frozen at random moments

2 Posts

February 9th, 2010 15:00

Thanks LaptopNomad, will try swapping the RAM and see what happens.

March 5th, 2012 21:00

I think this is a hardware problem, maybe the motherboard, maybe the processor, maybe the memory I am not sure. I think it is a defect in the manufacturing of the computer. I bought my dell inspiron 710m back in 2006. When I started to have this problem I call Dell Help Center. They sent me a new hard drive; it did not fix the problem, they sent me new memory modules; it did not fix the problem. I did the memory test they told me to do; nothing seemed to be wrong. After many hours I just gave up with Dell Customer Support. Next I tried a clean installation of windows, but every single time the computer would freeze before the installation could finish. Then I tried to install ubuntu but it also froze. Finally I tried to install ubuntu again but I passed the "acpi=off" argument to the installation and everything worked just fine. I am currently running ubuntu in my inspiron 710m. The acpi=off is usually passed to bypass some bios controls I think. I have read something like that, so I think this problem probably has to do with a defect in the motherboard, or a problem with some of the BIOS that Dell made available to the customers. I hope this help with anyone still owning an inspiron 710m with this particular problem

*** edited to comply with Dell Community Terms of Services

No Events found!