Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 5th, 2015 20:00

Inspiron 7347 serious touchpad problems

I have had my Inspiron 7347 for a few days.  When operating on the battery, the touchpad exhibits some quirks that make this P:C extremely hard to use as a portable laptop.

The mouse on the touchpad hangs up intermittently, sometimes for several seconds.  This erratic behavior makes using the mouse terribly difficult.

When scrolling using the mouse on a vertical scroll bar, the right click menu for the desktop keeps popping up.  I must move the mouse away from the scroll bar, left click to get rid of the right click menu, and return the mouse to the scroll bar.  Sometimes this behavior is constant when scrolling through a long page, making it impossible to use the mouse to scroll.

I have searched this forum for answers, but what I find is other users complaining about the same problems going back months.  Here is one of the threads, started on 11/9/2014, almost two months ago:

en.community.dell.com/.../19606250

I find it hard to understand how Dell can sell and ship PCs with a well known set of very serious touchpad problems.  My guess is that a new driver is needed - NOW!

Any answers???  Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 20th, 2015 12:00

It sounds like you had a similar experience to me. It effectively converts the 2 in 1 into an ultrabook. Not exactly what we all want...

However the good news is both seem to work okay together in Windows 10 although I am occasionally getting screen rotation issues in Windows 10.

13 Posts

March 20th, 2015 13:00

I had the same problem with my new 7548, and I created a thread for it. The first response I received was not at all helpful, and I am waiting for a better one. It seems weird that a hardware replacement on a new laptop is the only solution to this problem.

en.community.dell.com/.../20744150

13 Posts

Well, I just don't understand why they call it "next business day in home service" if that's the case lol. 

7 Posts

Probably calling Dell and having them return the pc to the repair depot to have the touchpad replaced. No idea what number to call though.

36 Posts

SAYAK57 - referring to your question, "...what is the best and recommended way to get a speedy resolution of this issue?".  There is no speedy resolution.  If you read this entire thread you will see that the problem has been going on for months, starting with an older thread I referenced earlier.  Having the touchpad replaced with in-home service helped, but did not resolve all the issues.

I just chatted with Dell Tech Support.  They referred me to Advanced Support.  I'll try that now.

13 Posts

@wrhardy, what is the best and recommended way to get a speedy resolution of this issue?

13 Posts

No way m i doing that. My laptop is less than a month old, plus I have the next business day home service thing. I am getting this fixed next week. This is just plain stupid.

36 Posts

March 20th, 2015 14:00

Earlier today I said, "I just chatted with Dell Tech Support.  They referred me to Advanced Support.  I'll try that now.".  Advanced Support took control of my PC and tried to install new firmware for the touchpad.  The rep was not able to install the touchpad firmware.  He then installed the most recent version of BIOS, which updated my BIOS one version up, from A03 to A04.  The touchpad is working noticeably better since the BIOS update.  Even the two finger scroll is much easier to use.

I'll continue to use the new BIOS and report back here after I am convinced one way or the other.  Wish me luck!

36 Posts

May 16th, 2015 11:00

Ravi BC - I just received an email that your post "got verified as an answer" to this discussion thread.  I followed your suggestion with these results:

Clicked on the first link in your post.

Went to the site and found the Service Tag number already filled in, probably because I have been to this site previously.  Clicked "Submit".

Clicked on "Drivers & downloads" in the left column.

A message popped up -  "Loading, Please wait."

I waited and waited and waited.  Same message with the rotating square never goes away.

I closed the browser page and repeated the steps above starting with the link in your email.  Same result - still waiting.  The list of drivers does not appear.

I closed the browser page again and started the process from the link in your email.  I followed the instructions on the top of the page to install the current version of "Dell System Detect", even though I see the correct Service Tag.

The "Product Support" page appeared with the same Service Tag number filled in. 

I clicked on "Drivers & downloads" and I am again hung up with message "Loading, Please wait".

Suggestions?  Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 16th, 2015 12:00

36 Posts

May 16th, 2015 12:00

NATAKUC4 - The answer is yes to all 3 of your questions.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 11th, 2015 10:00

Sorry for taking so long to get back. Mine was playing up a bit still after the firmware update then it got worse.

I decided to dismantle the system and reseat the touchpad and I also made sure it was tightly screwed down. Its been working flawlessly for a week now.

13 Posts

June 11th, 2015 11:00

Also, I have a 7548 and the latest firmware available for me is A02, whereas the 7547 has A06. Should I use the A06 file to upgrade my 7548? What is the config difference between the 7548 and the 7547?

13 Posts

June 11th, 2015 11:00

I got my touchpad hardware replaced a month back. Still the same problem. I am going to upgrade to Windows 10 and see if that fixes the problem. Windows 10 is supposed to have updated drivers for the precision touchpad.

1 Message

June 16th, 2015 09:00

I think TouchFreeze does exactly what I wanted. Now I can type without the text-insertion pointer jumping from line to line and/or document to document. And since the touchpad is important to some: it still works with TouchFreeze installed and running. It just freezes the touchpad while you're typing. This is the only PC I've had where there was no function key for disabling the thing, if not a general disable when a mouse is available, so TouchFreeze is very helpful to this heavy-handed typer. Thus ends the frustration.

No Events found!