Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 3rd, 2017 12:00

Inspiron 7378 won't boot into Windows 10 Safe Mode

I'm having an issue getting this Inspiron 7378 to into Windows 10 Safe Mode.

After navigation into Advanced Repair Settings and telling the system to reboot into Safe Mode, the laptop gets stuck on the Dell logo and will not complete its POST operations. My only fix is to unplug the power adapter, drain the battery, and then boot back up.

Any idea why the laptop won't boot into Safe Mode?

2 Posts

April 3rd, 2017 03:00

This could be a result of Fast Boot / Fast Startup or Hibernate function is enabled.

Is there any of those feature enabled?

Besides, you can try these methods to help you boot your Windows 10 into Safe Mode.

win10tips.net/.../

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 4th, 2017 09:00

You can download a recovery image from Dell -- or a MIcrosoft  WIndows 10 ISO, prepare a flash drive and try using it to recover the system.  If that doesn't work, you have a hardware issue that will require a board replacement under warranty.

I am unable to boot into Windows. I didn't want to bog down this thread with non-Inspiron material, but for the sake of painting the entire picture:

The laptop boots into Windows 10, but there is only a black mouse cursor. Its as though the primary login screen is on a non-existent display. I am able to perform a "blind login" to Windows, but no function inside of Windows works (no Ctrl-Alt-Del, Windows key +P, no right clicking the desktop). This is a very documented occurrence in some other Windows 10 forums, but none of the "fixes" posted there have worked for me. I've even tried connecting the laptop to other docking stations/port replicators and directly to other external displays. The login screen is not available.

I'm trying to boot into Safe Mode so I can uninstall the video drivers and let Windows default back to a generic driver. My hope is that this will disconnect this ghost external display.

I've opened a support case with Dell, but the level of support purchased with this laptop is bare minimum. The pre-boot diagnostic tests pass with flying colors. The Dell technician is requesting that I ship the laptop back to Dell for a motherboard and memory replacement, but I firmly believe this is just a Windows problem and the hardware is fine.

So my current state: I can't boot the laptop into Safe Mode.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

:emotion-2:

You are able to boot into windows ? You're experiencing any other kind of problems on system?

In the meantime,I'd suggest you run Dell F12 Preboot Diagnostics tool to check the hardware on computer. Please follow steps below:

1. Turn off computer and disconnect all peripherals - printer, flash drive, external drive, etc....).

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping the F12 key continuously. In boot menu, stroll down to diagnostic and then click on it. Report back any error code. Please click on link below:

Running Dell F12 Preboot Diagnostics - YouTube

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 4th, 2017 12:00

Instead of using the Reset this PC option, click on Advanced Option, and then run Command Prompt. Type msconfig, and then enter. If successful, click diagnostic startup, click on Okay. Hopefully it will go automatically to safe mode in your system.

January 4th, 2017 12:00

I'm unable to restore the laptop using the "Reset this PC" option. I'm choosing the "Keep my files (Removes apps and settings, but keeps your personal files.)" option. The laptop reboots and says "Resetting your PC" with a percentage progress meter.

Eventually it fails "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made."

I'm going to ship the laptop back in.......

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 4th, 2017 13:00

Lastly.....

As ejn63 suggested, you can download windows ISO from the Microsoft. Please follow steps in video below.

How to Create A Bootable Windows 10 USB Drive - …

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

If you are able to System Configuration and still isn't able to boot into safe mode then I suggest you click on Tools.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

If you're able to run the Command Prompt, I suggest you run the System file checker. It scan for any corrupted system files that could be causing problems and fix those corrupt files as well.

a) In the command prompt type the following command: sfc/scannow and press enter

If no corrupted system files were found , then I would suggest you try the following steps:

b) Select Command prompt (Admin)

c) In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command....  

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

No Events found!