Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2013 06:00

Inspiron 7520 doesn't boot to external monitor after bios upgrade

Hi

After updating my Bios From A5 0 to A9 I can no longer restart my laptop without opening the lid & pushing the power switch twice. It worked perfectly before the Bios update. Please Help!!

Thank You

Trav

8 Posts

March 29th, 2013 10:00

Hi Rob

Pleased to know its not just me :-)

Will certainly let you know if I find a fix etc

Take care & thank you for your support

All The Best

Trav

4 Posts

March 30th, 2013 17:00

Hi Trav,

Just to bring you up to date.

Two  days prior to my first post here, made three phone calls to Dell.

The first, to get a return authorization.

The second, one of many followup calls to Tech.

The third was to sales, explaining that if Tech could not solve the lid problem, would be returning the unit and would they sell one at the same price and conditions. They said yes. I further explained that Tech had "escalated" this issue and I was told to expect a call no later than Noon Saturday. The sales rep said he would call me around 4PM.

Today, is Saturday 7:40 PM. No one called.

Around 6 PM called a sales number and explained that a defective unit was being returned and would they sell me one at the same price. They said no (wanted another $140).

Had dinner, then called another sales person and was told yes. Placed the order and delivery is set for Thursday.

You can easily guess what will be the first order of business when it arrives.

Will let you know.

Rob

4 Posts

April 3rd, 2013 18:00

Hi Trav,

It arrived one day early.

It is fine. Absolutely no problem restarting with monitor attached and lid closed.

This unit is identical except that since we ordered they now supply a 1T instead of a 750 GB hard drive.

Noticed a few things, probably minor, but you never know.

No errors in Device Manager, old one had them.

WIDI starts immediately, old one did not and Techs started changing drivers like crazy.

When restarting lid closed/ monitor attached, laptop is silent. Old one tried to start and made a brief noise from what I THINK was DVD drive.

When that noise stopped, laptop hung.

Installed some preferences and all my USB devices.

Now am backing up with Image software just in case.

Then will switch to SSD, update drivers, Window Updates and many programs.

After carefully reading on Dell site, saw the A09 Bios is meant for RAID drive issue which does not apply to me.

It will not be installed.

As changes are made, will make System Restore backups and of course test the lid.

Any problems, will let you  know.

Otherwise, feel free to ask anything and Good Luck.

Rob

4 Posts

April 3rd, 2013 23:00

Trav, Update

Installed SSD and found Bios is A09.

Obviously that then is not the startup problem cause.

This seems like a more recently made unit.

1 Message

November 18th, 2013 23:00

Hi!

I have the same issue. I purchased Inspiron 7520, the BIOS is already A10. The laptop won't boot but only when the lid is open.

If I close it when the Dell logo appears, from then is ok, it appears in the external monitor. But if I restart froom Windows (for example

after installing something), it just sits idle.. it's blank when it starts. I tried everything, video card drivers, reinstall windows, etc. Nothing

helped.

Note: I have SSD instead of the HDD, HDD was moved to ODD and optical drive is external.

Any help would be appreciated, I need it for work so it's urgent.

Regards,

Szabolcs

1 Message

April 7th, 2015 08:00

Just received a new E6540, the laptop will not boot to external monitor seems several people at GE have this issue. My old E6420 worked while plugged into the docking station. 

No Events found!