Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2013 06:00

Inspiron 7520 doesn't boot to external monitor after bios upgrade

Hi

After updating my Bios From A5 0 to A9 I can no longer restart my laptop without opening the lid & pushing the power switch twice. It worked perfectly before the Bios update. Please Help!!

Thank You

Trav

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

March 12th, 2013 06:00

Hi Trav135,

Do you normally shut down the system or put it to hibernate/sleep? Also update chipset and video driver using the link below.

http://dell.to/Yefr3p     Chipset driver

http://dell.to/12LqSI5   Intel video driver

http://dell.to/Z0iYX1     AMD video driver

Please update the driver in the exact order and restart the computer after each update.

Let us know about the progress.

8 Posts

March 12th, 2013 08:00

Hi Senthil - thank you for the quick response

I usually put the system to "sleep" and wake it up with a external USB keyboard - this still works fine. The problem is if I need to restart the system (ie after software installation) then the system stops and I have to open the lid on the laptop push the power button once to close down the system then once to start - as soon as I reach the windows startup screen I can shut the laptop & all is fine

I will try the updates you suggested - all was fine though until I updated the bios

I will let you know how I go :-)

Regards

Trav

8 Posts

March 12th, 2013 09:00

Hi

I've updated the drivers as per your instructions - still the same - cannot reboot with external monitor connected & lid closed

Regards

Trav

9 Posts

March 12th, 2013 10:00

Hi,

I've got the same laptop and I'm running into so many problems. I installed BIOS update A09 a week and a half ago. Shall I update the above drivers using the links provided?

I'm in the UK (not sure if that makes any difference).

8 Posts

March 14th, 2013 07:00

Hi Senthil

Still having the same problem - any more suggestions or possible fixes in the pipeline?

Thank You

Trav

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

March 19th, 2013 08:00

Hi Trav135,

I am sorry for the delayed response, Please check if the power option settings are similar to the image which is mentioned below.

Let us know the mode of connection which you are using for the monitor like VGA or HDMI?

Also let us know what kind of light activity you notice on the system when you re-start.

Let us know about the progress.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

March 19th, 2013 09:00

Hi AlexStone,

Please update all the drivers which I have mentioned in my previous post, also let us know about the issue which you are facing with the laptop.

9 Posts

March 22nd, 2013 02:00

Hi Senthil,

I have updated my laptop with the drivers mentioned, and although they helped to an extent (takes 10 minutes with variation of 2-7 beeps instead of 20 minutes and repeated 5-7 beeps.

I still get error codes 1a and 3b, which flash up. I honestly think it's a faulty motherboard. I'm worried that one day, I'll wake up, switch the laptop on, and it won't boot at all.

8 Posts

March 22nd, 2013 05:00

Hi Senthil

Sorry about the delay

My Configuration is as shown in your picture

Running Windows 7 - Worked perfectly until I updated bios to A09

External Monitor is plugged into VGA port

Light Activity

Is as expected on running

on selecting restart computer logs off and screen goes black  BUT the lights stay on

open laptop press power button laptop shuts down

push power button to restart

after windows starts initializing - can close lid

Cheers

Trav

8 Posts

March 22nd, 2013 07:00

PS If I do a shutdown the laptop shuts down properly - for restart laptop does not shutdown (I left it 20mins to ensure it wasn't just slow!!)

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

March 25th, 2013 03:00

Hi AlexStone,

Thank you for the detailed information, the 7 beep issue is a CPU Cache test failure (processor). Please send me the system service tag or express service code in a private chat so that I can check few details and help you further.

Click on my username select start conversation and send me the details. 

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

March 25th, 2013 05:00

Hi Trav135,

Thank you for the information, my suggestion would be to perform system restore; this will make the system to go back to an earlier date (Before the issue occurred). You may use the link below.

http://bit.ly/LNsgQW

In case after performing the system restore if the problem persists, I would suggest you to do a PC restore in the system (Factory settings).

Note: This process will erase all the data saved in the computer.

http://dell.to/VP5ZYC

This will rule out if there is any issue related to operating system.

Let me know about the progress.

8 Posts

March 26th, 2013 10:00

Hi Senthil

Did as requested no change - it definitely is an issue with the updated bios - I even went one step further and dual booted with ubuntu - same problem exactly.

The problem can't only be me - have your techs tested it? It really is a problem for me as the laptop is away from the monitor, keyboard etc & requires an awkward unlocking of the laptop to open it just for a reboot!

Any solution will be welcome be it a downgraded bios or a new release - please - I am almost at the point of returning the machine - which would be sad as apart from this issue I am very satisfied with it - as I have been with all the dells I have bought in the past

Thank you for your on going help in this matter

All The Best

Trav

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

March 27th, 2013 01:00

Hi Trav135,

Please send me the system service tag or express service code in a private chat, so that I can help you further.

Click on my username select start conversation and send me the details.

Once we get the information from you, I will escalate this issue to the Engineering team.

4 Posts

March 28th, 2013 21:00

Hi Trav,

Did not have the beeping issue but the lid/restart problem you outlined could have been written by me.

Same 7520 and same problem.

Using it, or attempting to use as a desktop with wireless mouse and keyboard and of course, external monitor.

Spoke many times to Tech and they all take the same approach, update and change drivers to no avail.

Additionally, noticed that even if the monitor is powered off but still connected via either VGA or HDMI, problem remains.

After reading your post a short time ago this evening, rolled back  Bios from A09 to A07 but still no go.

Restored to A09 and am awaiting a callback as my case was also escalated.

As none of the people I spoke to ever experienced this complaint have decided that if no fix is forthcoming soon, will return the unit and simply repurchase the same model.

Put in an SSD drive and it flies. Coupled with quiet operation, great screen and audio, it is otherwise, one fine PC.

The weight and short battery life matter little as it is mainly destined for home use.

Will post back here with any fix or final resolution, hope you do the same.

Rob

No Events found!