Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2015 06:00

Inspiron 7537 - Battery Not Charging

I am currently receiving the - Your battery is temporarily disabled error message

Having googled this it would appear to be resolvable by updating the bios

However the battery is currently below 10% so the system won't let me update the bios, it have tried using /forceit from cmd (opened as admin) however this doesn't change anything.

Is there any solution?

2 Posts

August 16th, 2015 10:00

ttt

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 16th, 2015 11:00

DO NOT update the BIOS without a functioning battery.  Not only is that risking the mainboard, but it will not solve the problem.

Unplug the system, remove the base cover and disconnect the battery.  Hold the power button for 30 seconds and reconnect the battery.  If it's still not recognized thereafter, the battery needs to be replaced.

If you're under warranty, call Dell for a warranty replacement of the battery.

If the system is out of warranty, you can get a  repair estimate

< >

there is a charge for the estimate but it is applied to the cost of the repair.

April 14th, 2016 03:00

the "battery charging is temporarily disabled" that so many other have had. (I think the AC plug came out and battery ran down.) I found no one posting a solution----including Dell. Putting together some suggestions but not from people that said they succeeded, I tried a combination of things and got mine to work again. Here is what I did that worked for me. I expect some steps, like 4 and 5, may not be necessary, but they didn't hurt either.

1) Shut down computer and disconnected charger and Ethernet

2) Removed battery and held power button 30 seconds to drain all charge from computer

3) Plugged in charger

4) Started computer on AC Power (worked OK)

5) Shut down computer

6) Disconnected Charger and held power button 30 seconds to drain all charge from computer (waited a little while before next step just to be sure)

7) Installed battery

8) Connected charger (charging light showed that now charging)

9) Waited for battery to completely recharge (charging light out)

10) Started computer. (All well and back to normal at this point)

Hope this helps someone else and they can confirm that this works for for them and for other situations of the failure.

Jerry

Dell Inspiron 7720 (17R) SE

This worked for me perfectly. 

I followed the instructions to the letter. I knew my battery was nearly fully charged but before the disabling happened had been getting strange behaviour with the charging light often not showing up when it should. So many posts on Dell Forums about this issue from exasperated customers talking about new batteries, motherboards, fatal error etc etc had me worried I have to admit...

My guess as to what happened and why this worked: I think this battery technology has additional circuitry to enable software reporting and management and maybe this got out of sync and had to be reset by this method.

Also the Phoenix Bios (A13) wording about why it had disabled battery was not very clear. 

Thank you very much!  :=)

1 Message

August 8th, 2016 09:00

Hi, today i got the same problem on my Inspiron 7537.  Hunting for options. I guess u would have resolved ur issue by some means.  

My battery was almost full when it encountered the problem. presently its indicating 0% so unable to flash the BiOS.  

Kindly advise how to get over this issue. 

August 31st, 2016 05:00

If you READ the solution above you will see that it resolved my issue!

November 4th, 2016 13:00

We have seen this particular model several times in the course of our computer repair business.  They always have loose or broken power connectors and usually the laptop base is broken too, so the power jack is moving around.  Replacing the power jack is what will fix the "plugged in, not charging issue.  You will see a broken orange wire when you take out the old power jack, which was likely caused by the loose power jack.  You will pay about $15-$20 for the power jack on Amazon.

No Events found!