Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 5th, 2017 04:00

Inspiron 7537 HDMI Out to TV

Ive just had the screen on my laptop fail and called out of warranty support.  They want me to try outputting to a different monitor to determine if its the screen thats failed or the video output in general. (as the screen went black when adjusting the screen tilt, I' think its likely its a screen connection issue)

All I can try is HDMI out to the TV, but just connecting the cable doesnt seem to output to the TV (no signal)

Would I have to select a device to output to on the laptop screen to switch to HDMI?  If so doing this test is impossible.  Running windows 10.

Help!  Thanks

532 Posts

April 10th, 2017 23:00

Hi,

Welcome to our community.

We’ll surely try and assist you. To isolate the issue, please let us know if you see any light glowing on the power button and the keyboard. Do you see a blinking cursor on the screen once you power on the laptop? The technical team asked you to connect the laptop to an external monitor to check if the issue is with the hardware or software. Connect the laptop to the TV using the HDMI cable and make sure to select the input source as HDMI in the TV. Let us know the outcome.

Also, share the information through a private message to check for more details.

1. Service tag

2. Email address

3. Registered owner’s name of the system.

We thank you for your cooperation.

3 Posts

April 11th, 2017 03:00

The hard drive activity (and keyboard backlight) are consistent with a normal bootup (and did not turn off when the screen went black initially, mid use).

No there is no blinking cursor, or any screen activity of any kind. Its also clear its a black screen without backlighting, rather than just a blank screen with no picture feed to it.  

Also there was a recent in warranty repair where the screen itself was replaced due to a hinge fault, so the screen isnt old, and makes me wonder if the mechanical connection between the two wasnt completed correctly at the time.

Attached to the TV with HDMI cable, selected the correct input.  TV still says No Signal. Never attached to TV in the past so unclear if this is just the TV not 'liking' that kind of input.

Will PM

532 Posts

April 11th, 2017 20:00

Hi Chris. Thank you for sharing the requested information and explaining the issue in detail. We’ve responded to your private message. Please check. 

No Events found!