Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

August 4th, 2015 14:00

Inspiron 7548 Trackpad Issues After Windows 10 Upgrade

My trackpad occasionally will just stop working. The buttons become unresponsive as well as the trackpad itself. Only way to temporarily fix it is to reboot. I and many others had this issue on Windows 8.1 but it seemed fixed after updating to the A03 bios. Now, on Windows 10 using the A05 bios, the issue is back. Is anyone else having this problem?

1 Message

August 10th, 2015 14:00

I also had some issues, the it was unstable and then after some windows updates it failed to boot. I decided to roll back and will be waiting on the upgrade. Looks like other Inspiron 7548 users are having issues

August 14th, 2015 20:00

See my fix it post here

en.community.dell.com/.../19648030

August 16th, 2015 20:00

I too have been experiencing the erratic trackpad. I thought for sure that disabling the default windows driver fixed my problem but after a recent update is when the problems started reoccurring. Now I have the Etdware trackpad driver disabled. We'll see. It seems to me that the problem is random.  

September 24th, 2015 21:00

post deleted...irrelevant.

December 1st, 2015 18:00

UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 VERSION 1511. Or the newest version that is available to you. I've not experienced any spottiness or problems since the update. The trackpad has been feeling really nice. Like how it should.

27 Posts

December 3rd, 2015 09:00

The trackpad is still not fixed for me. I'm beginning to think the problem is both hardware related and software related. Below are my findings.

Background:

I've had two different Inspiron 7548 laptops, each with identical trackpad issues. On both of those systems, I've had the trackpads replaced so in total, I have had four trackpads, each with the same problem. In addition to the trackpad(s) failing, I've had the motherboard fail and GPU fan fail. I really hate this laptop.

Insight to the issue:

For fun, I decided to boot Ubuntu from an external drive to examine how Linux drivers handle the trackpad. The trackpad worked flawlessly for a few minutes but then started spazzing out and moving around uncontrollably. This indicates there is a serious design flaw with the hardware, not software.

Ubuntu video: https://youtu.be/DSHByVMXzhg

Windows 10 Build 1511: https://youtu.be/O4AopxAAxbs

Summary:

Although the issues manifest themselves in different ways across operating systems, the fact that issues are both present in Windows and Ubuntu indicates the trackpad is plagued by a hardware problem. At this point, I do not know what to do. Dell cannot fix the laptop; they have tried everything. Dell won't give me my money back. I can't sell a defective laptop. The only other option is to take Dell to a small claims court, which I intend to do sometime in the future.

I will never buy a Dell product again.

December 7th, 2015 12:00

Are you using the A05 bios version?

27 Posts

December 7th, 2015 15:00

Of course! All drivers are up-to-date and the trackpad still exhibits problems.

December 8th, 2015 21:00

Post deleted ...

December 8th, 2015 21:00

post deleted...

April 15th, 2016 17:00

There's a new bios A07. Go check it out. Just installed it. I'll need to use laptop for a couple of days to tell though.

April 16th, 2016 04:00

New BIOS A07 up online in the support site in downloads drivers.

April 16th, 2016 11:00

So you upgraded to A07 Bios?

27 Posts

April 16th, 2016 11:00

Still have the same issues as before. No difference whatsoever. I think the laptop has a serious grounding issue and therefore builds up static electricity that interferes with its components.

27 Posts

April 18th, 2016 14:00

Yes. I upgraded to the A07 BIOS

No Events found!