Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2015 06:00

Inspiron 7548 trackpad critical failure

I love the new Inspiron 7548, except for the trackpad. The trackpad just doesn't work, since day 1. Half the time, it skips, clicks in the wrong places, and there is no configuration app (Alps configuration manager??) to manage the sensitivity or other settings of the trackpad. I am fairly savvy managing driver etc issues, but there are no drivers posted for trackpad in 7548 support page. What am I missing??

My trackpad absolutely refuses to work sometimes, and even the touchscreen becomes unresponsive during those times. I did a diagonstic on the Dell website http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/servicetag/7FCQJ42/diagnose and came up with "Critical hardware error" . I personally don't think its a hardware problem as everything appears fine, maybe there are no drivers because the laptop just released a month ago? I really need help with this, please. 

1 Message

November 21st, 2015 08:00

I have Dell Inspiron 15 7548 with this problem too.  Touchpad works for a while, then stops.  Sometimes it comes back.  Sometimes the cursor jumps around the screen while typing.  The touchpad stopped on this site as I was clicking on the subscription fields.  Its working now.  But sometimes it never comes back unless I reboot. Sometimes it works but doesn't scroll.  Sometimes it doesn't zoom.  Sometimes it zooms instead of scrolls.  Sometimes it does nothing and the mouse pointer just sits there.  Sometimes the mouse pointer disappears.  In a pinch I can use the touch screen but I don't like putting finger prints on the beautiful 4K display. 

Win 8.1, Device manager shows Human Interface Devices, Touchpad, No driver files required.  Also shows two mouse drivers, each HID Compliant Mouse.  I'm using a Logitech usb mouse on a single usb port.  This usb mouse always works and unfortunately is the only way I am not constantly rebooting.  Rebooting is not a fix for this issue. 

April 16th, 2016 04:00

New BIOS A07 up on the website. Dell dot com support drives downloads for your device. Check it out.

April 16th, 2016 13:00

oh thank you very much. anyway, hows your trackpad issue,? I solved mine by putting an ipad screen protector on the trackpad.

April 16th, 2016 13:00

Ha! Very resourceful. Me, I just always always have a wireless mouse in reach. Or nearby. But it pretty much exhibits the same behavior all the time. Having no clear reason. Sometimes I'd think it was my hands temperature. If got sweaty, no good.

I'm hoping this new bios firmware is the fix we all been waiting for. I haven't noticed an outage since new bios but who knows. I'll have to wait a few days to be able to tell for sure.

April 19th, 2016 00:00

hi @burgesszachary1, you should try putting ipad screen guard on it, I also thought it was because my hand sweats like a waterfalls. because it works nice when my hands aren't sweatin, there's one time when the trackpad error came up while my hand is sweating then I tried to put a plastic cover on it because the trackpad is full of sweat, and it works, that's how the idea of putting an ipad screen guard came up. it works fine. you should try it.

April 24th, 2016 23:00

No Events found!