Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2015 06:00

Inspiron 7548 trackpad critical failure

I love the new Inspiron 7548, except for the trackpad. The trackpad just doesn't work, since day 1. Half the time, it skips, clicks in the wrong places, and there is no configuration app (Alps configuration manager??) to manage the sensitivity or other settings of the trackpad. I am fairly savvy managing driver etc issues, but there are no drivers posted for trackpad in 7548 support page. What am I missing??

My trackpad absolutely refuses to work sometimes, and even the touchscreen becomes unresponsive during those times. I did a diagonstic on the Dell website http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/servicetag/7FCQJ42/diagnose and came up with "Critical hardware error" . I personally don't think its a hardware problem as everything appears fine, maybe there are no drivers because the laptop just released a month ago? I really need help with this, please. 

9.4K Posts

March 20th, 2015 09:00

Hi Sayak57,

Thanks for your post!

On the main Windows 8.1 screen:  
- Swipe in from the right to display the "charms",  
- Pick "Change PC settings",
- "PC and devices" on the left side of the screen  
- "Mouse and touchpad"  

and you're all set.

If you need to reinstall the driver, here is the link.

Regards,
Robert

13 Posts

March 20th, 2015 13:00

Robert, thanks for your response. I already tried the Windows 8.1 settings option, and looking at the Dell website for the driver was literally the first thing anybody would do (and so did I). But the problem is, I am not all set. The Windows 8.1 setting screen does nothing to address the erratic behavior and occassional non-responsiveness of the touchpad. The driver you linked to is non-relevant, it is a unifying driver for external keyboards n mice, n does nothing whatsoever with the touchpad. It makes me wonder if you had the chance to look at the file you linked before you posted it. As of now, there is no driver for the touchpad on the Dell website.

As I am typing this, my touchpad is completely unresponsive, i see no mouse pointer on the screen, and moreover my touchscreen is non-responsive when I am in desktop mode. Interestingly however, the touchscreen works when I am in Chrome metro mode, or in other windows 8 style full screen app; just not in the windows 8.1 desktop. The mouse in MIA in all screens. Maybe a reboot will fix this, which I plan to do as soon as I finish typing this response (definitely not something I should be doing on a laptop not even a month old).

There is clearly a driver issue here, and some of it seems similar to what is documented on this thread - http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19613140/20743933#20743933

I do not care if it is a driver issue or a hardware issue, I want a resolution, and fast. This is my daily laptop, and I cannot go on like this. Please create a support request and ask a tech representative to either replace the laptop or provide a software solution. I await a more informed resolution.

2 Posts

May 3rd, 2015 13:00

Hi,

I've been having identical problems with my Inspiron 7548 and was wondering if you've managed to find a solution to yours yet? I've done everything I can think of and to no avail. It always seems to happen randomly - normally unresponsive in the centre of the touchpad but usually I can just use it around the edges. I find the only way to fix it each time is to restart my computer, but obviously this is a pain when I'm in the middle of doing something. I can't see any common cause of it, always random. It's been a problem with mine since I bought the laptop at the end of February.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks,

Hannah

27 Posts

May 20th, 2015 22:00

I'm having the same issues. When I first got my laptop, the issue was so infuriating that I asked Dell to send me a replacement laptop. Unfortunately, the replacement laptop has the exact same issue. I am really angry at Dell for not having a solution to this annoying issue. The laptop is unusable without the trackpad! At least a reboot seems to fix everything which makes me think it's an issue with the software. 

June 14th, 2015 05:00

Dear Robert,

I live in Dubai. Purchased this 7548 (with 4k display) a month back.

The problem mentioned in this thread is a very serious problem. I am writing this to you not with an expectation of a reply, but I sincerely hope you escalate this to the company technical department.

This is a very serious issue and almost everyone who has purchased this model are facing it.

The touch-pad suddenly stops responding and so does the screen (this occurs simultaneously) and the only way to solve this is to restart. It is even more embarrassing for those who use this for business.

We all know about ''touch-pad settings'' but the issue is a MAJOR DRIVER issue. The only way to solve this is a full new driver release for the touch-pad.

PLEASE SIR, I REQUEST YOU TO PRINT ALL MESSAGES OF THIS FORUM AND BUILD A CASE AND PRESENT IT TO THE COMPANY.

There are several forums and threads highlighting the 'Lag' or Delay in touch response and several others highlighting the lack of a control panel to customize touch-pad behaviour. WHile these are important problems as well, this one here, is critical!

This is Code Red -Alpha - Sector 7 - Area 51 - District 9 -  level problem or whatever Hollywood calls it these days. :emotion-2:

Humour apart, please look into this matter as a major product issue and not as an individual customer complaint and help us get an update.

At the cost of repetition, I think I have conveyed the gravity of the problem.

Looking forward to your cooperation.

Thanks and Regards.

June 14th, 2015 15:00

Yes, I too have had the same unreliable erratic problems with my 7548 concerning mouse pad since I purchased in Feb. of this year.

I am telling everyone not to purchase this piece of technical ***. What a waste of $money bringing constant aggravation. Shame on you Dell!

27 Posts

June 14th, 2015 20:00

I am convinced it's an issue with the trackpad drivers. The drivers are just the default Microsoft drivers that were made in 2006! I guess Dell is just too lazy to write their own *** drivers. Hopefully Windows 10 will have this issue resolved and my laptop will finally be usable again. 

13 Posts

June 15th, 2015 12:00

I just upgraded to Windows 10 insider preview (which is pretty much consumer Win 10) and the touchpad problem is still there. I don't know what to do. This is a new laptop, I shouldn't have to worry about it so much. :( :(

I really don't know how to deal *** this problem. They even replaced my touchpad once!

27 Posts

June 15th, 2015 14:00

They also replaced my trackpad once. Problem still persisted so I exchanged it for another 7548. The problem is still there even on a new machine!

June 16th, 2015 03:00

Guys,

I just checked Synaptics website. As far as I understand, Synaptics make their own drivers for laptop touchpads (for almost all popular laptop brands).

Their drivers are OS based and they have a latest one for windows 8. (Does not say 8.1 though).

Before I install, I thought I would take your opinions if any of you have experience with synaptics touchpad drivers.

Thanks.

P.S.: I am not even sure if the drivers would be compatible and would work, but I wish to try.

13 Posts

June 16th, 2015 09:00

This is a "precision touchpad" which means that there are no touchpad drivers for this touchpad. It communicates directly with the BIOS. You will not be able to install any driver, nor will any of that help you. I tried like 7-8 drivers from different sites.

But please do try and report back. I am just tired of Dell's ***.

June 16th, 2015 21:00

Dell Tech Support updated my bios yesterday along with touch pad driver. It worked OK yesterday, but when I turned it on this morning, I had the same unresponsive erratic touch pad cursor problem.

I am not a happy camper.

27 Posts

June 16th, 2015 21:00

I updated to the latest BIOS (A03) and have had no touchpad issues. I can't really be sure it's fixed due to the problem's randomness but things are looking good so far.

27 Posts

June 17th, 2015 12:00

I spoke too soon regarding the fixed trackpad with the new bios update. The unresponsive trackpad problem is still present and very very annoying. 

13 Posts

June 17th, 2015 13:00

I agree. Its still there. Even in Windows 10 insider preview with the A03 bios.

No Events found!