Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2017 12:00

Inspiron 7559 4K Display lag

I'm having what seems to be a known problem. I'm posting this in the hopes that maybe someone has found a solution to this as well as to expose the problem a little more to dell in the hopes that they'd address it.

I have a dell inspiron 7559 with the 4k display option. The laptop comes with an nvidia 960m as well as a 6700HQ. Windows animations lag. A lot of programs not built into windows 10 lag as well including chrome and firefox. Now the catch is that microsoft edge browser runs absolutely smooth. This gives me reason to believe that the problem may be a driver concern? For Edge to run smoothly means that the laptop has the power to render windows at 4k resolution. I guess certain programs may have problems interacting with the hardware.

If I lower the resolution in windows settings, the lag is reduced although still present depending on the amount of other programs I have running.

I updated my intel graphics drivers to the latest versions avaiailbe from dell and I've updated to the latest nvidia drivers directly from nvidia themselves. I tried updating to the latest intel drivers from their site but was stopped by an error message since the drivers are not made by dell.

Any help on the situation would be gladly provided. This is my only problem with the laptop as of now.

14 Posts

April 13th, 2017 21:00

You need to install the driver manually using device manager. I had to do it with my old lenvo laptop some time ago. Google generic intel driver installation, you should get a step by step guide.

13 Posts

April 13th, 2017 22:00

I too am unable to update the intel graphics drivers. My only solution so far is to reduce the resolution to 2048x1152 or 1920x1080 to reduce the lag. Tbh the reduced screen quality doesn't bother me that much but I would love to go back to a 4k resolution.

I am going to see what would happen if I upgrade the ram and migrate the OS to an SSD. Hopefully this will solve the issue.

Edit: Regarding the post above, I have tried doing that, I followed their steps word for word, but I get a message saying that I am using the latest intel graphics driver. The customised HD intel graphics card just cannot be updated for some reason. 

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

April 14th, 2017 13:00

Hi FrostyFeet, 

When do you plan on upgrading the Ram/SSD? I will be curious on the results. I am trying to have someone look into this but haven't heard much back yet. 

Best regards,

Brad

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

April 14th, 2017 14:00

Thanks for the updates, let me know if you find anything else. I am trying to get someone to look this over. I haven't heard of generic driver changing anything on this, but if you force it like Yvan1501 mentioned, let me know if it helps.

Best regards,

Brad

April 14th, 2017 15:00

Thanks for looking into this, Brad. I'm going to take some time over the weekend to fill out a proper support request. Hopefully we can get this figured out.

I've read a few other forums around the web, and it seems other users with Intel HD 530 graphics chips running at 4k / UHD have been having desktop performance issues as well. It may be that Intel still needs to optimize the HD 530 drivers (hopefully Dell will offer an updated version as well, since we can't install the generic Intel graphics drivers).

As mentioned previously, the Nvidia GTX 960M side of the Inspiron 7559 seems to work fine for 1080p gaming, full-screen and windowed. It's the Windows 10 desktop animations and video playback performance that's sluggish / choppy (this goes for YouTube, VLC, MPC-HC, Windows Media Player).

Some notes, if they're at all helpful:

* Video playback / Windows 10 desktop animations do appear smoother when 1) running them in a smaller window, 2) running the laptop display at a lower resolution, 3) turning off window animations and transparency in Windows 10.

* Poor video playback performance affects high-def *and* standard def video. Re-sizing the video window to a smaller size improves performance. Poor video performance always for full-screen video, regardless of video resolution or app used.

* Installing BIOS 1.2.2, choosing "high performance" in the Intel HD graphics control panel, and using the latest Dell version of the Intel HD 530 graphics driver does not seem to fix the issue.

* Animations for Windows "modern" apps are noticeably less affected than are traditional Windows desktop apps. Playing video with the Movies & TV app results in the smoothest playback, though there are still frequently dropped frames, both for standard and high-def videos.

13 Posts

April 15th, 2017 00:00

Hi Brad,

I am planning to install the ram and ssd next week or the week after. I'll run tests and let you know immediately what the results are.

Regarding the post above, I too suspect that it has something to do with the intel hd 530 graphics since it does control the animations for other windows applications. Hopefully an update will fix the issue.

14 Posts

April 15th, 2017 09:00

Using a lowered resolution increases the performance but the visual quality is terrible. Fonts look abnormally blurry for 1080p. My coworker's laptop that has native 1080p appears almost as crisp as the dell laptop at 4k resolution. I'm not sure if this is expected when reducing resolution below the screen's native resolution or if it may be tied into the driver issues being experienced.

April 15th, 2017 10:00

Brad, yes, this issue does seem to be specific to the Intel HD 530 side of the laptop. The Inspiron 7559 seems to be able to handle 1080p gaming just fine on the Nvidia GTX 960M side.

Yvan1501, I agree on the lower resolution thing - it does make desktop animations / video playback smoother, but defeats the purpose of buying a laptop with a UHD / 4k screen in the first place. It's a pain in the rear to have to switch to a lower resolution every time I want to watch a video.

Despite the desktop lag, I'm sticking with the native 4k resolution because I do book design work, viewing multiple pages on-screen at the same time, and being able to skim zoomed-out text while maintaining clarity is super convenient.

April 17th, 2017 16:00

Did some basic troubleshooting with a Dell rep over the weekend, just to get the ball rolling. In the meantime, I also tried some other things that Inspiron 7559 4k users experiencing the same lag issue have suggested:

* Turn off Windows Search service.

* Disable Cortana.

* Uninstall Dell Service apps.

I've done all 3, resulting in *somewhat* smoother desktop animations (though definitely still not 100%). Interestingly, I can now play video in non-Modern apps (VLC, MPC-HC, etc.) using a maximized window, and frame rate is much smoother than before. However, full-screen video is still choppy in non-Modern apps using the Intel HD 530 GPU.

13 Posts

April 17th, 2017 23:00

Does anybody have any idea when dell is going to release an update for the customised  drivers for the HD 530?

The lag is starting to irritate me.

14 Posts

April 18th, 2017 08:00

I'm hoping sometime soon. I feel as though the actual software engineers don't know of our concern. From my research this problem has been reported almost a year ago. Dell released intel driver updates since then and didn't resolve the problem. Hopefully our ply on this forum reachs the right people and the issue gets resolved.

April 18th, 2017 12:00

Any Dell techs reading this thread might be interested in the following Intel thread as well, as the issue described is almost identical:

communities.intel.com/.../104262

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

April 18th, 2017 16:00

Thanks for all of the updates/responses on the thread. I don't have any updates yet, but will let you know as soon as I hear something. 

Best regards,

Brad

13 Posts

April 21st, 2017 17:00

I have just upgraded my laptop, Dell Inspiron 15 i7559 Signature Edition, with an 850 EVO sata 250gb ssd and an additional 8gb DDR3 ram. I did the following tests:

-task view animation

-window maximising/minimising

-browser scrolling on both Chrome and Edge

Obviously, loading times and the amount of applications open will be a lot better, but the main problem is the lag from windows animations. After running these tests, I can say that upgrading the laptop did almost nothing to the windows animation lag. The lag is still present at 4k resolution. Upgrading did not solve the problem.

1 Message

April 21st, 2017 22:00

I recently bought 7559 4k version with 8 gigs of ram. When I first booted the laptop, I noticed choppiness and stutters right off the bat. At first, I thought the windows 10 installed was causing all of this so I reinstalled windows and updated all the drivers and to my dismay, the lag still persisted.

Also, I noticed that the fan ran much faster resulting in unsually high temperatures.

SO, here's the catch. I did some research on the internet and tried a lot of methods to solve this issue but none seemed to solve the issue fully.

I tried experimenting on my own and came up with the following suggestions.

1. Updated the BIOS to latest version(1.2.2) and all the other drivers to the latest version

2. Disabled the Intel Speed Step Technology via the BIOS menu(Because the laptop seems to thermal throttle resulting in more stutters.)

3. I dropped down the resolution to 2880x1620 with scaling at a 150% using the intel graphics control panel by adding a new custom resolution. (You can use 2560x1440 as well)

4. Used mac type for smoother fonts all round.

5. If you have playback issues in videos then I suggest using mpv(with nvidia graphics acceleration). Using this I can play even some 10 bit 4k videos and 4k hevc videos as long as they are at an acceptable bitrate. Alternatively, you can also you potplayer with codecs downloaded during setup.

6.Disable some performance consuming windows animations and effects.

I feel that the windows scaling causes the windows animation lags and stutters. So, using the latest RS3 version of windows might solve some of these issues. And also, the Intel HD 530 is poorly optimized for running the desktop environment at higher resolutions. Hope that this solves most of your issues. :)

No Events found!