Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 9th, 2017 16:00

Inspiron 7559 Blue-Screens when nVIDIA GTX 960M is enabled.

I received my Dell Inspiron i7559-7512GRY on December 16th.  The laptop operated perfectly until January 5th,  when it simply stopped booting into windows.   If I allowed it to sit long enough, I would eventually get a Blue Screen indicating a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. Windows did load on Safe Mode.

I started trying to correct the issue with a system with a factory reset – first keeping files, then I tried again without preserving my files. I then tried a fresh install of Win 10. All of these had the exact same issue when windows tried to load.   Since Safe Mode worked,  I started disabling devices one at a time until I narrowed it down to the nVIDIA GTX 960M video card. 

When the nVIDIA Video Card is disabled in Device Manager, Windows can load.  The second I enable the video card, the computer becomes rapidly less responsive and soon crashes with the Blue Screen mentioned above. 

I tried a fresh install of the nVIDIA device driver to what came from the factory – this did nothing.

I tried updating the driver from Nvidia’s website to get the latest version – again no results.

I have updated the BIOS, and all other drivers on the system – the same problem persists.

When the nVIDIA card is enabled, the system just can’t run.

I'm running an extended hardware diagnostic on the system now (should be complete in ~3 hours).

If anyone else has had this issue, I’d appreciate help. But I’m starting to think this is going to be a warranty case …

8 Posts

June 3rd, 2017 14:00

Hi RyanJLind!

I made my warranty valid and the technician told me he had to replace the motherboard. He said that it is the only solution to this problem because the Nvidia GPU can't be replaced because it is integrated in the motherboard(I think it's possible but some special tools and skills might be needed).

Fortunately, Dell was very fast applying the warranty. I opened a case sending a mail(it can be done trough chat) and they asked me to give them some screenshots of the problem and of the ePSA (BIOS test). After that, they created a depatch order, I took the laptop to the workshop they told me and after a week the computer was ready.

The info they asked me can be found here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BwhFAJy2mRJwZnNzVy0yQTZRR28?usp=sharing

8 Posts

September 6th, 2017 11:00

It sounds sad, but that's the point. The only way to fix it it's changing the motherboard and I think it's better to buy another laptop because a refurbished motherboard costs around $400, so it's worthless.

1 Message

January 9th, 2017 17:00

Same thing is happening to me. I think it must be Nvidia. I thought it was my RAM at first, it wasn't working so well, I replaced it, still had the issue. I even re-installed the OS.

I don't think it's the OS fault or Dell's, must be the driver. I guess

I'll check this out right when the diagnostic completes.   And yes,  I'll definitely be contacting support (partially why I'm on here).  Appreciate the link Mary G!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

See if this helps-- www.thewindowsclub.com/dpc_watchdog_violation-blue-screen-in-windows-10

Reinstall the Dell driver for the video. That one is customized for your model's motherboard. Since this is a 3 week old computer, contact Support asap if you can't correct the problem.

January 9th, 2017 21:00

Tried the suggestion with the SATA AHCI driver,  but sadly no change.   The moment I installed the nVIDIA driver, my laptop crashed.

I've tried all the current drivers Dell has on the website (as of January 9th ... today), and even tried the most current driver from nVIDIA after the SATA AHCI change.  No Luck.

Note I also ran the complete hardware diagnostic, but I noticed that it only checks the integrated Intel video chipset. It doesn't mention checking the nVIDIA card at all.  Seems kinda useless...

If there's a Dell representative that sees this,  I'm gonna need additional help please.

1 Message

January 25th, 2017 15:00

I have got the exact same problem! Have done everything you mentioned, and had Dell Technician remote access my laptop and do all the diagnostics and update Aug 2016 NVIDIA driver on Dell Website. Nothing helped. The Technician asked me to send it for a repair. Maybe a motherboard replacement is needed. How is yours by the way? Hope you reply!

February 20th, 2017 08:00

Same issue here. My plan is to enter geforce website download every driver i can find for the gtx 960m start installing and uninstalling one by one to i find what works

1 Message

March 23rd, 2017 01:00

I've been having exactly the same issues as yourself with my 7559 and have tried everything you have done yourself, as well a few other things all to no avail. Have you made anyway headway with yours? For reference, mine crashes anywhere from once every few weeks to as many times as I am willing to reboot it in a day.

8 Posts

May 14th, 2017 21:00

Unfortunately, I am facing exactly the same problem and I have tried all those procedures you tried too.

Could you solve it? Did you made use of the warranty? If you used the warranty, did they change any part or what did they do?

1 Message

May 16th, 2017 05:00

Any update on this thread? I got the exact problem.

Any dell support who can help?

Already tried all the possible solution i found online. But still the same

And this thread seems to be unresolved.

8 Posts

May 16th, 2017 09:00

When the problem happened, I had the Windows Anniversary version and it was working fine. I desactivated the windows updates service, so it didn't upgrade to creators version. Afterr all, I updated windows but nothing.

One interesting thing is that when I enable the GPU from windows, the fans start to sound very loud, as if I'm running a heavy game. I tried to disable the high definition audio, wireless and bluetooth drivers and then enable the gtx. When I did that, I could still using windows for a minute, but then the fans started to sound loud again, so I could disabled the GPU and restarted windows, but it crashed when was turning off.

An iaStordatasvc file crash when trying to update windows, especifically installing the Realtek Semiconductor Corp driver. It's interesting because the fans sound very loud too when trying to install it and also after failling, when windows tries to make a rollback I guess. It never shows any windows error por warning. I can ser it justo if I check the reliability history.

I tried to install linux, but I can't even open the installer. It freezes after the boot, when it's loading the installer. I'm trying with Ubuntu 16. The fans sound very loud too after freezing.

I called Dell and they told me that they will apply the warranty and fix it by them, but it is difficult because I bought it through Amazon, so first, I have to transfer it to Costa Rica and it last a while.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 16th, 2017 09:00

Some general questions for the thread.  I don't have that video chip on any of my systems so I cannot try out possible solutions.

But are you all running Win 10 and have upgraded to the latest build (15063, Creator's)?

When I have problems with a driver, I like to download the driver I want to use, like the latest one on the Nvidia site and then go offline.  This keeps anything from being automatically installed.

The installer has a check box for clean installs, so you have probably been using that but I like to go even further.

I like to uninstall the device and check the box to uninstall all drivers.  For a video adapter you should see the driver listed as Microsoft Basic Display when you are done.  Reboots at times will help clear out your system.  I will then install the new driver.

But, however you install the driver, make sure and do a custom install and uncheck the Nvidia Experience.

I have a homebuilt gaming system with two GTX 980 cards.  I was in the Win 10 Insiders and tested it during development.  My system crashed for over a year with every build of Win 10.  It wasn't until after it was released to the public the BSODs stopped and have not returned.  Hopefully, your problems will be resolved with a good driver, if it is only the driver involved.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 16th, 2017 11:00

andreym, the fans speeding up usually means something is getting hot.  It would be logical to assume it is the GPU but possibly the CPU is involved.  

Have you tried leaving the Resource Monitor to see if you can tell if something is using CPU or Disk time?

If you check the Settings-Apps and look at the right of the window you will see a link to Programs and features.  If you open that, does the Nvidia GeForce Experience show and have you tried uninstalling it?

In the Nvidia control panel you can open by right clicking the Desktop, if you look at the Manage 3D settings, you can choose the primary GPU.  Have you tried setting that to the Intel GPU so it won't use the Nvidia one?

There is always a chance, while building your systems, part of that process was deficient when it came to providing cooling to the Nvidia GPU.  If that was the case, there would have to be a physical repair.

I will assume, for now, if you had uninstalled the Nvidia GPU and were running just the Microsoft Basic Display adapter, the system would not Blue Screen.  As I mentioned, you would have to test while offline with no usable driver for that chip available.

If you see anything which has an effect on this situation, please let us know...

8 Posts

May 16th, 2017 16:00

Thank you Saltgrass!

I've already tried all those tips you told me.

Installing the driver, the monitor resource showed that the disk was almost at 100%, as supposed because of the file transfer.

The last thing I tried, was installing Linux, Ubuntu flavor specifically. When I tried to install the driver, the OS didn't crash, but was unstable and never finished to install. Also, when I tried to open App, such as system monitos in Linux, nothing appeared.

In conclusion, I think that the problem is at hardware level. The Nvidia GPU is not okay.

I'm making the warranty valid, so let's hope Dell can solve me the problem and don't disappoint me with fake stories to avoid the warranty.

No Events found!