ChillTheNerd
1 Copper

Inspiron 7559 Blue-Screens when nVIDIA GTX 960M is enabled.

Jump to solution

I received my Dell Inspiron i7559-7512GRY on December 16th.  The laptop operated perfectly until January 5th,  when it simply stopped booting into windows.   If I allowed it to sit long enough, I would eventually get a Blue Screen indicating a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. Windows did load on Safe Mode.

I started trying to correct the issue with a system with a factory reset – first keeping files, then I tried again without preserving my files. I then tried a fresh install of Win 10. All of these had the exact same issue when windows tried to load.   Since Safe Mode worked,  I started disabling devices one at a time until I narrowed it down to the nVIDIA GTX 960M video card. 

When the nVIDIA Video Card is disabled in Device Manager, Windows can load.  The second I enable the video card, the computer becomes rapidly less responsive and soon crashes with the Blue Screen mentioned above. 

I tried a fresh install of the nVIDIA device driver to what came from the factory – this did nothing.

I tried updating the driver from Nvidia’s website to get the latest version – again no results.

I have updated the BIOS, and all other drivers on the system – the same problem persists.

When the nVIDIA card is enabled, the system just can’t run.

I'm running an extended hardware diagnostic on the system now (should be complete in ~3 hours).

If anyone else has had this issue, I’d appreciate help. But I’m starting to think this is going to be a warranty case …

0 Kudos
29 Replies
Deku20
1 Copper

RE: Inspiron 7559 Blue-Screens when nVIDIA GTX 960M is enabled.

Jump to solution

Same thing is happening to me. I think it must be Nvidia. I thought it was my RAM at first, it wasn't working so well, I replaced it, still had the issue. I even re-installed the OS.

I don't think it's the OS fault or Dell's, must be the driver. I guess

0 Kudos
Mary G
6 Indium

Jump to solution

See if this helps-- www.thewindowsclub.com/dpc_watchdog_violation-blue-screen-in-windows-10

Reinstall the Dell driver for the video. That one is customized for your model's motherboard. Since this is a 3 week old computer, contact Support asap if you can't correct the problem.

ChillTheNerd
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I'll check this out right when the diagnostic completes.   And yes,  I'll definitely be contacting support (partially why I'm on here).  Appreciate the link Mary G!

0 Kudos
ChillTheNerd
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Tried the suggestion with the SATA AHCI driver,  but sadly no change.   The moment I installed the nVIDIA driver, my laptop crashed.

I've tried all the current drivers Dell has on the website (as of January 9th ... today), and even tried the most current driver from nVIDIA after the SATA AHCI change.  No Luck.

Note I also ran the complete hardware diagnostic, but I noticed that it only checks the integrated Intel video chipset. It doesn't mention checking the nVIDIA card at all.  Seems kinda useless...

If there's a Dell representative that sees this,  I'm gonna need additional help please.

DukYakaka
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have got the exact same problem! Have done everything you mentioned, and had Dell Technician remote access my laptop and do all the diagnostics and update Aug 2016 NVIDIA driver on Dell Website. Nothing helped. The Technician asked me to send it for a repair. Maybe a motherboard replacement is needed. How is yours by the way? Hope you reply!

0 Kudos
i_p_r_i_n_c_e
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Same issue here. My plan is to enter geforce website download every driver i can find for the gtx 960m start installing and uninstalling one by one to i find what works

0 Kudos
Kelsey_K
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I've been having exactly the same issues as yourself with my 7559 and have tried everything you have done yourself, as well a few other things all to no avail. Have you made anyway headway with yours? For reference, mine crashes anywhere from once every few weeks to as many times as I am willing to reboot it in a day.

0 Kudos
andreym
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, I am facing exactly the same problem and I have tried all those procedures you tried too.

Could you solve it? Did you made use of the warranty? If you used the warranty, did they change any part or what did they do?

0 Kudos
JadeA
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Any update on this thread? I got the exact problem.

Any dell support who can help?

Already tried all the possible solution i found online. But still the same

And this thread seems to be unresolved.

0 Kudos