Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 16th, 2013 09:00

Inspiron 7720 won't recognize mSATA

I ordered a 17R 7720 with a 1TB drive and no mSATA. I recently decided to add one and took the 32GB out of my mini9 to use in the 17R. The problem is when I install it, it does not show up in the bios as having anything in the slot. What are the required specs for a ssd to use in the mSATA slot or what format does the drive have to be to be recognized by the mSATA. I want to use it as a cache drive to speed up the system. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks. 

4 Posts

September 17th, 2013 10:00

So I may have just figured out why the drive will not work but fit into the mSATA. The mini9 that the drive came out of uses a miniPCIe not a mSATA. the ports are identical and even have the same pinning, but are wired differently. So it will not recognize or power on the SSD. So I may have just formated my SSD for nothing. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 18th, 2013 05:00

The mSATA drive is optional on the system - if you didn't order the configuration with the mSATA drive, the slot will be vacant.

As you noted, the mini-PCIe card from the old netbook is not mSATA and will not work in the mSATA slot in your new system.

• 

3.3K Posts

September 17th, 2013 05:00

Hi JASONH1975, 

This system model is shipped with 32 GB mSATA drive by default.  I would like to know to which slot you tried to install the 32GB drive. If possible provide the snap shot of the slot.  The HDD and the mSATA drive will be listed in the BIOS as shown in the picture below:  

To go to BIOS tap F2 at startup.  Reply with the finding. 

4 Posts

September 17th, 2013 05:00

My system did not come with a mSATA in it. when I opened it, this is what I saw. 

I put my 32GB Runcore in this slot and booted to the bios. in the bios it says mSATA Device - None.  I updated the bios and system with any updates, reseated it several times and it still says nothing. Is there a certain format the mSATA has to be to be recognized by it. I tried it as FAT32 and NTFS and nothing. 

• 

3.3K Posts

Hi JasonH1975,

I would like to know if the mSATA slot was empty on the motherboard. Is the system not booting after installing the drive? Did you format the original drive?

If the original drive is not formatted you don’t have to reinstall the Operating system, but can restore the system to factory installed state from the recovery partition of the HDD.

4 Posts

The slot was empty when i opened the cover. The system boots fine, i just had the old drive and wanted to utilize the Intel Rapid tech to speed up the system utilizing the cache. Should there be a mSATA in the slot? do you know if it comes standard and I may not have gotten it? 

No Events found!