Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

November 27th, 2013 18:00

Inspiron 7737 (17 7000) sleep mode problem

I purchased a Inspiron 17 7000 (7737) with Windows 8.0.

I changed the hard drive for a Crucial M500 900gigs and installed Windows 8.1 Pro. I installed all Dell drivers for 8.1 and I don't have any unknown devices.

My problem is one the laptop goes in sleep mode, I can't allways wake it up. Moving Wireless mouse or touching keyboard or mouse pad, or power button doesn't wake it up. Other times, just moving the mouse works well.

I  changed power setting to not go into sleep mode, only turn off the screen, but it happened again.

I know that Microsoft Update is proposing a new driver for the nvidia 750, but not sure if I should install it.

2 Posts

November 29th, 2013 11:00

I call Dell support and she explained that sleep mode is a state that last around 30 minutes and then after, it goes into deeper sleep mode. At such point, I have to press power button until the laptop turns off. Then restart the laptop. I argued that is like pulling the power cord on a desktop and opened documents won't be save. She said that Dell recommends saving before leaving the laptop unattended.

I disabled sleep mode for the laptop and screen, to fix the problem.

I said I was going to install Windows 8.1 and asked about the installation order for installing the drivers. She left for a moment and return saying to follow the order listed on the web site. I said where is that mentioned. She said to look at the list of available drivers and that would be the order to follow. I said, I don't want to argue with you but this is an alphabetical order, nothing else. She kept saying that was the order.

In reality, I knew that was't true nor logical. While installing the drivers, I got three drivers that failed until I updated the nvidia driver. But by Dell's knowledgeable technicians, "V" stand for video and last item to install. Seriously!

But the call was not a waste of time as I asked for the way both HD 4000 and Nvidia GPU works, since Windows use only the Intel HD 4000. She explained that base on needed performances, Windows use either one. That decision process is managed by software. I didn't get to point of testing that fact.

Obviously, Dell support can't spend hours debugging one client remotely. So I guess they ask their staff to stick to the "by design" method of skipping the problem.

Yet, I like my new laptop and Windows 8.1 using Start8.

1 Message

November 30th, 2013 17:00

I have the same problem!

Purchased the same computer very recently and the same thing is happening to me.  I set it to turn off display after 5 minutes, but to go to sleep after 25, and sometimes after 7 minutes (etc), I cannot get back the display without forcing it to shut down, and then restarting.  Which is obviously very frustrating.  When I remember, I just close the laptop when I walk away -- it starts up faster that way -- but I don't always remember / realize that I will be away for longer than 5 minutes.

I guess I will have to adjust the settings to keep the screen on for like 20 minutes, but it is very frustrating.

3 Posts

December 4th, 2013 07:00

Exact same thing with me. Although, even when I change the settings to never turn off, it still turns off eventually. Quite frustrating. 

1 Message

December 14th, 2013 04:00

I have the same will not wake from sleep problems. I finally turned everything to NEVER and am waiting for a fix.

Remember to go into the control panel > power options > change plan settings > change advanced power settings and change it all there, too.

6 Posts

December 17th, 2013 17:00

Same model w/8.1 same problem.  The last two times the screen went dark I closed my lid and reopened.  The screen came back almost immediately. Nothing else works but hard power off.

I also have the 15 inch 4000 and a video card driver update fixed that. No device drive for the 7000 that I can find. 

3 Posts

December 18th, 2013 06:00

You think it might be a video card problem then? I've tried almost everything i can think of. The only thing I haven't switched off yet is the intelligent display. I'll switch it off and repost if it miraculously fixes it.  

6 Posts

December 18th, 2013 06:00

Couldn't find an updated video driver.  Reinstalled everything (Video, Intel, Wireless, Touchpad) from Dell.com last night and it's still doing it this morning only now the lid close/open trick no longer works.

I spoke with one of our techs and he actually did this on the 4000 and that resolved it... not the video card update as I posted earlier:

1. This link is to add the console lock display off time out: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8267-power-options-add-console-lock-display-off-timeout.html 
  2. How to change console lock display time: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8268-lock-screen-timeout-period-change-windows-8-a.html

Running this on the 7000 now to see how it works.

1 Message

December 19th, 2013 20:00

I find myself with the same problem too - I tried messing with the console lock display off timeout as described above, and while this helps to prevent the display blacking out, it doesn't fix the underlying problem that if it -does- black out, you can't get it back again.

Very annoying problem.

12 Posts

January 4th, 2014 22:00

Look like this sleep and wake up problem for all inspiron 7000 series...

I have inspiron 7434 14" also has same problem ... once lid closed and cannot wake up again ... only black screen

I found the problems caused by "Intel Rapid Start" not by graphic driver.

Try to turn off "Intel Rapid Start" , it will solved the problem... no more problem "black screen" after long deep sleep.

1 Message

January 7th, 2014 11:00

My Inspiron 17 7000 arrived late October and I have been trying to figure out the secrets of sleep mode to no success.  Sometimes it seems as if the laptop is trying to wake up, you can hear the hum of the laptop, and the lights in the front flicker -  but the black screen remains. Extremely frustrating when I leave the laptop unattended for longer periods of time and have to reboot.  You would think that DELL would take this flaw seriously and have it fixed. Removing the sleep function should not be an option as I'm sure the life of the screen will be greatly diminished - and this was not a cheap lap top.

12 Posts

January 7th, 2014 17:00

Actually windows 8 already has sleep feature (built in) but intel rapid start some how suppose to be more advance than common windows "sleep" feature, unfortunately not working well ... keep crashing during wakeup after enter sleep mode.

So while waiting Dell fix this "sleep" mode issue , i turn off "intel rapid start" and use normal windows "sleep and hybernate" feature ...

because i am afraid if my laptop keep crashing , it will damage my data ....

1 Message

February 15th, 2014 12:00

I'm having the same issue. Is there a known fix for this?

3 Posts

February 16th, 2014 06:00

Nothing has worked for me yet. Aside from turning off sleep mode, which is hardly a fix. 

1 Message

August 8th, 2014 13:00

Intel rapid start is the issue, turn it off. 

1 Message

March 6th, 2015 10:00

Same here, I am having the same problem too.

No Events found!