Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

5 Posts

May 1st, 2006 03:00

Inspiron 8500 -- where is the reset button?

Morning.

My trusty old 8500 had gotten a habit of losing it's a/c supply and dropping onto battery, thanks to a poor connection between the power plug and the female plug side on the back of the case. Usually you kind of tickle the plug in its socket until the unit finds a good connection, battery recharge commences, and you are good to go till the next episode which may be hours or days ahead.

Unfortunately the last time that happened I was away for far longer than anticipated and the battery got drained. That battery is normally good for at least an hour if the CPU fan is just idling.

Apparently since the default was to go to Hibernate, that 8500 insists upon trying to restart to a nearly dead battery. It gets maybe 1/2 way thru the POST (the BIOS screen thermometer) and shuts back off.

On most of these laptops there is a concealed reset button or key sequence which forces the unit to start from a/c as if it had been shut down and not hibernated.

I have searched these forums extensively and can seem to find those instructions for every model BUT my own Inspiron 8500.

Please, how to I reset that thing, and please please, detailed instructions?

Thanks indeed!

Will

5 Posts

May 7th, 2006 17:00

One kick of this post in the hope that someone knowledgable will answer it.

Thank you.

14 Posts

May 16th, 2006 08:00

I have an I8500 and it seems not to have a reset button as do most newer computers using XP (my Dimension 3000 does not have one). In order to reset i usually press the power button for 2-3 seconds on both,

Standby:-Fn+Esc or Start-Turn off computer- standby

Hibernate:-Start-Turn off computer-(Hold Shift)-Hibernate.

Using the power management schemes (Quickset or Windows) I set the 8500 to hibernate when I close the lid.
No Events found!