Highlighted
edpare
1 Nickel

Inspiron 9400 E1705 Hard Drive Upgrade ?

A couple of questions:

1) What's the largest hard drive that the 9400 BIOS will recognize? Please include drive manufacturer and model number.

2) What drives have most 9400 or E1705 owners upgrading to?

Reason for this post: I've a 9400, T7400, BIOS Rev. A09, 4GB RAM (3.25 available), 100GB Hatachi HTS721010G9SA00 with XP Pro SP3 installed; and, I want a second drive sitting on a shelf with Vista Ultimate 32-bit installed in case something goes wrong with the 100GB Hatachi.

Thanks.  

0 Kudos
15 Replies
husky0894
3 Cadmium

Re: Inspiron 9400 E1705 Hard Drive Upgrade ?

Any 2.5" 9.5 mm SATA drive, any size, any speed will work.  Only the high-capacity Hitachi and Toshiba drives that are physically too large (12.5 mm) will not.

That said, if you plan to clone the existing drive, you have several things to consider.  Read the link below.

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/hpa-issues.htm

0 Kudos
wario_02
1 Nickel

Have a E1705 T7600 4GB Ram (all available) 200GB 7200 RPM w/Vista ultimate 64bit, so yes you can upgrade your hard drive, don't believe capacity really matters as long as physical size is the same.

0 Kudos
edpare
1 Nickel

Thanks for the reply.

Just curious...how did you get all 4GB available? I thought that the E1705 was basically the same as the 9400. Is that not correct?

CPUZ (from Downloads.com) shows my main board as a Dell 0YD479

My BIOS setup indicates that the System is an MP061, BIOS Version A09.

Is your BIOS the same?

0 Kudos
SiliconChip
1 Copper

Hi,

I have called Dell's Support Line, informing that my Dell Inspirion 9400 is running over A09 BIOS, and would like to know the maximum hard-drive capactiy.

On my several calls, I always was informed that from my current 2.5 SATA 120Gb hard-drive I could upgrade to a 2.5 SATA hard-drive of 250Gb max. capacity.

Larger then 250Gb, Dell doesn't assure that hard-drive will be recognized

They don't assure, but that doesn't mean that it won't work 😉

Therefore, did any of you already tried a hard-drive larger then 250Gb?

For me 250Gb still being a low size for an HDD.

Regarding Dell's Media Direct, I must be honest... is a waste on a such machine as this Inspiron. Reason why, I have format the full HDD when I bought the laptop 😉

Cheers

0 Kudos
camrhein
1 Copper

Hello

Has anyone installed a new 320Gb 2.5 SATA and kept Media Direct? If so can you give this novice some direction??

Thanks in Advance

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Media Direct has to be installed on the new drive from the Media Direct CD - it cannot be cloned.

SiliconChip
1 Copper

You can clone it, but you must be careful on what type of clone to do, as it must copy the MBR Table too!

I cannot recall anymore, but I once came across a website which had instructions of how to do a proper clone of Direct Media.

Now, in continuation to my previous post, I can clarify that I removed the original HDD from my Dell, and installed a new 500Gb 2.5 HDD that I bought.

Five months have passed, and so far so good. There were no conflicts any other issues with the OS.

The only thing that I notice was a slight increase of temperature in the areas that surround the HDD.

But as long as you keep the underneath are open so that air can flow, there should be no problem whatsoever.

Therefore, I can conclude that it is possible to use a larger HDD then the maximum stated by Dell (see my previous post).

Regards and awesome 2010 to everyone

0 Kudos
Dragon Dagger
1 Copper

How did you get 4GB memory when the Dell spec indicate only 2GB is supported?

0 Kudos

Dragon Dagger, if you read this post: en.community.dell.com/.../19411295.aspx

it tells you how to get 4GB in the E1705.

P.S. to anyone that ever posts on a technical forum, if you find a solution dont just say "oh hai i got it worked bia" with out putting part numbers in the post. then guys like me that search google 5 years later can still use the relative information.

0 Kudos