Inspiron 9400 Windows 7 Hibernate / Sleep Crashes

Hello All

I have an old Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop machine which had Windows XP on it.  I upgraded the OS to Windows 7 Family N edition last November. I have been experiencing crashes every time I attempt to Hibernate or Standby the machine. I simply cannot get Hibernate or Sleep to succesfully work when I had a couple of applications running.

Has anyone out had experience with Inspiron 9400 and Windows 7 32bit? If the answer is yes, how did you configure your machine to hibernate or sleep successfully?

I upgraded to the last A10 BIOS for 9400 from Dell Support, which did not resolve the issue.

I read an Internet forum where they suggested that the Graphics Driver ATI Radeon x1400 Version 8.360.0.0 could be at fault. II am using the latest version ATI driver for Vista 32 bit edition from the Dell Driver Support site. The ATI Catalyst driver is the only one available.

I suspect that this is not a Graphics Driver issue though. I expected that Windows 7 would be better OS than Windows XP. I wanted an OS that killed the iTunes process, and did not crash the machine. Every second I start iTunes it just hangs and during a sync with the iPod/iPhone. I thought that Windows 7 would be final answer to zombie processes and disappointedly it is not the one. I also get this freaking mess with video capture applications like Roxio or Adobe Premiere.

What other drivers could be causing Hibernate crashes? Could it be the Wifi drivers? Network drivers? Which ones?

Also On Inspiron 9400 there are two keys to suspend the machine.

ESC / Standy

F1 / Hibernate

On Windows XP the combination Fn -F1 would hibernate the machine, on Windows 7 it does not work however Fn-ESC (Standy) seems to do it.

What is the correct key for Hibernate or Sleep for Windows 7 32bit running on an Inspiron 9400?

Thanks for your patience and any answers would be gratefully receives

0 Kudos
2 Replies
speedstep
6 Thallium

Re: Inspiron 9400 Windows 7 Hibernate / Sleep Crashes

Hopefully you have 2GIGS or more of System Ram 3 Gigs would be IDEAL.

There are no WDDM 1.1 Drivers for Ati Cards that are legacy.

You are likely not running anything other than the default VGA drivers.

ATI Decided to not support DX9 Radeons earlier than the 24XX series.

Whats worse is the X1400 steals system Ram.

Install the June 2010 Directx9 patch this patch applies to XP / VISTA / WIN7

Download details: DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)

Reboot then

the Vista 32 drivers for the X1400M  Version 8.36-070314a3-045540C-Dell, A04

http://ftp.us.del.com/video/R153383.EXE

\

AMD has moved a number of DX9 ATI Radeon™ graphics accelerators products to a legacy driver support structure.  This change impacts Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Linux distributions.  AMD has moved to a legacy software support structure for these graphics accelerator products in an effort to better focus development resources on future products.

Translation.

No WIN7 drivers EVER.

This is very similar to what is described here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939423

On a Windows Vista-based computer, assume that you have a graphics card installed that uses system memory to augment dedicated video memory. In this situation, the Windows Aero feature may be disabled when the operating system runs under certain conditions, such as in multi-monitor configurations.

Whether Windows Aero is enabled or disabled on a Windows Vista-based computer depends on whether the graphics card has sufficient dedicated video memory. Some graphics cards augment their own dedicated video memory by dynamically allocating system memory. If there is insufficient system memory to be dynamically allocated at the appropriate time, Windows Aero is automatically disabled.

The aero theme is basically enabled depending on video card.

Windows Display Driver Model is the graphic driver architecture for video card drivers running Microsoft Windows versions beginning with Windows Vista.

WDDM driver model version 1.0 is that it does not support multiple drivers in a multi-adapter, multi-monitor setup, the latest version is 2.0 is introduced.

Windows will disable the Desktop Window Manager (DWM) that controls the transparent glass effect or other effects of the Aero theme. The DWM manages the desktop and the primary display settings in Windows.

Even with Vista Drivers ONLY WDDM 1.0 is supported.  No WDDM 1.1  AKA WIN7

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Inspiron 9400 Windows 7 Hibernate / Sleep Crashes

Thanks for the tip. I am not sure if they fully solve the Hibernate / Sleep of my machine Inspiron 9400 with Windows 7.

How does one know if one has the "full" Aero effects? ( I can Windows key and TAB on my machine and see the 3D task view of running applications and folder)

How does Direct X10 or Direct X9 effect the hibernation or sleep of a computer?

0 Kudos