Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 13th, 2009 19:00

Inspiron 9400 shut down?

I have a 9400 that loses video after about three minutes from boot. The machine boots to Vista, allows logon, shows desktop and after about three minutes it loses video. All activity ceases, no reaction to anything including Ctrl/Alt/Del...I have to force shutdown. This happens in SAFE mode as well. I ran diag and it showed that ram, hd and processor were performing fine? I'm thinking either the cooling fan, or video card?

Anyone have some suggestions before I order a new sys board?

3 Posts

May 14th, 2009 00:00

Hey There,

I had a very similar thing happen to me last week.  I have an inspiron 1501.  The screen just went black.  And after a few minutes, when the fan stopped, I could press the power button and it would come back on again....at the sign in screen....and then take me back to exactly where I had left off.  Soooo annoying!  It seemed to just get worse and worse.  I called Dell, and (fortunately I took an extended warrenty, cause my laptop is more than 1yr old already), I sent it in to the depot, 4 days later I got it back...all fixed.  Turned out it was the backlight or something like that...part of the LCD of the monitor.   So, they replaced that...and VOILA....no more problems.

I would suggest calling dell and sending it in for repairs. If it is under a year old, it is probably under warrenty still.  They were fast with the repairs.  Even though it took me 2hrs to get through to the right department so that someone could help me (no exageration there at all), the repair was smooth and painless.  GOOD LUCK MAN!

No Events found!