Highlighted
Lber
1 Copper

Inspiron E1705 / 9400 (X1400) ATI Brightness issue

Jump to solution

Hi,

following the latest m/soft win update, there was a new ATI mobility x1400 driver to download. I did download it and install it and since then the quickset brightness control does not actually adjust the brightness. Seeing as the laptop was working fine before the install and it only went pearshaped after the reboot, and also that the mainboard, video card & monitor were all replaced 2 weeks ago, i'm thinking that it is a bad driver / update issue.

I have tried to install the Dell site's driver for vista but this fails to have it's brightness being able to be adjusted. I have also re installed the quickset application too.

I have used the vista roll back, but als it keeps failing. After some quick research it appears to be a kaspersky issue, so i'm going to try to workaround that and carry out a roll back. However should the roll back not work, i need to get the thing working again.

Can the brightness be adjusted from somewhere else, i can't see anything in the ATI app, and have adjusted the power settings etc.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lber
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron E1705 / 9400 (X1400) ATI Brightness issue

Jump to solution

Hi all, to all of those of you with the same issue & to Dell tech's too...I have managed to get to the bottom of this and to find a cure.

So far Dell have replaced the major components of my 9400, and the problem persisted. The 9400 screen was dim, and only by plugging in a external monitor could the 9400 be usable. I tried all the roll backs / recovery methods to no avail. Knowing that the hardware was good, i reinstalled vista. However i had to do this via the external screen as the generic drivers for the 940 screen would not load. Once vista was back on i disconnected the external screen and het presto the screen brightness was once again adjustable. At this point i took a acronis image of the hard drive to recovery to in the future. I also did this so i could prove exactly what was causing this issue.

Once the image had been created, i then started to install updateds etc excluding the M/Soft version of the ATI X1400 driver (nov 08 version).

following install and reboots etc, all was well. And then for the ATI driver from the windows update.....guess what, after this was installed, all *** broke out, and the screen was dim and unajustable.

I then restored the working acronis image, and normality was restored.  for info the working version of the driver i have is version 7.14.10.8333  28/06/06

The one issue i still have though, is getting into the bios, for some reason i no longer see the dell boot screen, when starting the 9400. howver if i plug in the external monitor, i do see it from there and are able to get into the bios. Not sure exactly why this is, i'm guessing it's something to do with the video card.

I hope this info is of use to people in the future who expierience this issue.

The moral of the story is though, don't trust all you download from the windows update

2 Replies
Lber
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi all, to all of those of you with the same issue & to Dell tech's too...I have managed to get to the bottom of this and to find a cure.

So far Dell have replaced the major components of my 9400, and the problem persisted. The 9400 screen was dim, and only by plugging in a external monitor could the 9400 be usable. I tried all the roll backs / recovery methods to no avail. Knowing that the hardware was good, i reinstalled vista. However i had to do this via the external screen as the generic drivers for the 940 screen would not load. Once vista was back on i disconnected the external screen and het presto the screen brightness was once again adjustable. At this point i took a acronis image of the hard drive to recovery to in the future. I also did this so i could prove exactly what was causing this issue.

Once the image had been created, i then started to install updateds etc excluding the M/Soft version of the ATI X1400 driver (nov 08 version).

following install and reboots etc, all was well. And then for the ATI driver from the windows update.....guess what, after this was installed, all *** broke out, and the screen was dim and unajustable.

I then restored the working acronis image, and normality was restored.  for info the working version of the driver i have is version 7.14.10.8333  28/06/06

The one issue i still have though, is getting into the bios, for some reason i no longer see the dell boot screen, when starting the 9400. howver if i plug in the external monitor, i do see it from there and are able to get into the bios. Not sure exactly why this is, i'm guessing it's something to do with the video card.

I hope this info is of use to people in the future who expierience this issue.

The moral of the story is though, don't trust all you download from the windows update

grizzly8Late
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks for the warning and sorry for your suffering (I've known it all too well).

I too have an Inspiron 9400 with X1400 and saw the available X1400 driver update from MS - I was hesitant to install it.  A year has past since reimaging my machine with Vista Business SP1 and its been very stable (the Vista Business RTM as shipped from from Dell was completely broken regarding Bluetooth), so I've been careful about mucking with the stable SP1 build too much.

Thanks to your posting, I avoided installing the new MS X1400 release and marked Windows-Update to ignore it.  Thanks!

I did go to the Dell drivers to find the latest version there (ATI Radeon Mobility X1400 2007-05-21 8.36-070314a3-045540C-Dell A04), and did install it after not finding any negative blogs about that driver.  Upgrade was painless except I lost the ability to select my favorite 1440x900 setting for my 17" LCD (WUXGA - can go to 1920x1200) and I really didn't see anything better about the driver.

I rolled the X1400 2007-05-21 8.36 driver back to the preferable 7.14.10.8333 - 8/25/2006 version, and was again able to select 1440x900. 

For the Inspiron 9400, it looks like the  7.14.10.8333 - 8/25/2006 x1400 driver really might be the best choice.

0 Kudos