Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 26th, 2011 00:00

Inspiron E1705 audio problems??

Hey, I have a dell inspiron E1705 and I have no audio. So I tried to download all the audio drivers and none of them helped with anything.

I attempted to contact tech support online and could not contact anybody.

But I recently ran the Dell Diagnosis test and my laptop passed the first audio test but when it came to the "mono output sound playback" It didnt play anything it gave me the error code 1B63:111B. What does that mean is wrong with my laptop? Is there any way to fix it?

Thanks

Daniel

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 26th, 2011 06:00

I have never known exactly what that test tests, but it does seem to indicate a hardware failure. Generally you need to replace the motherboard to fix audio hardware, or get an external sound card.

If you want to continue trying software solutions, see the "No Audio" FAQ for some other things to look at, such as the Windows Audio Service. But the surest way to tell if it is a hardware or software problem is to restore the computer to the original factory configuration as explained in the FAQ.

May 26th, 2011 09:00

where can I buy an external sound card? and would that allow me to play audio from my internal speakers?

Is it possible to remove just the sound card and replace it with a new one?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 26th, 2011 09:00

Is it possible to remove just the sound card and replace it with a new one?

No, it is integrated onto the system board so you would need to replace the whole thing.

where can I buy an external sound card?

Your model can use either a usb or an Express card that fits into the express slot. There are not many of the express type out there. Here is an example from Sound Blaster:

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=17988

I don't remember if these allow you to play through the integrated Sigmatel audio system. The older pcmcia type would let you do that, but if it only worked if the integrated Sigmatel system was working, so if yours is not then that feature would not apply anyway. In that case you would have to use external speakers or headphones.

There are many of the usb type. You can get a cheap interface that only sends audio out from the computer, or a full sound card with all connections, like this

http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Surround-5.1/M/B0044DEDCA.htm

Amazon.com and Newegg.com both have a good selection to choose from. Be sure to check that it is compatible with your operating system. Btw what is your OS? If you have Vista you can try using its generic audio driver -- that is another way to try to confirm that the problem is in the hardware. But if you have XP there is no generic driver in nthat OS for your type of integrated audio.

May 26th, 2011 12:00

Thanks for the help!

I have one more question. my laptop now is kinda beat up and i need a new keyboard, battery, plastic case, and sound card.

Do you think it is worth it to buy all the parts I need and a new motherboard or should I just save my money and buy a new one when I get more money?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 26th, 2011 20:00

That's tough to answer. My own laptop is a basic 2004 model and I don't have the budget to get a new one until this one no longer works at all. So far I have replaced the display screen, the dvd drive, the hard drive, the keyboard, and upgraded the processor & memory. All of these were inexpensive. I bought the display ($40 used) and a Pentium processor ($17 used) off ebay, The keyboard was new but was less than $30. I need a new battery now but at the moment I'm just running off the adapter. If my audio went but otherwise the motherboard was okay, I would use a usb sound card since that is what I use anyway -- it hangs on the back of the screen and the signal goes to the stereo.

Where I would draw the line is when the computer stops booting up at all. If it gets like that and I can't figure out which part to replace then I would buy a newer computer, probably a used one, rather than buying parts just guessing at which one I need.

But that's just me and everyone is different. If you feel like you really need to have the internal speakers working  then probably start saving instead of buying a new motherboard and the other parts, unless you  are like me and like the idea of taking apart the laptop and keeping it going for a few more years. It's really a personal preference call.

May 27th, 2011 07:00

alright thanks for the help!

No Events found!