Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2012 07:00

Inspiron M17R SE mSATA

Where I live, mSATA drives are not a factory-installable option.

However, I do have a mSATA drive that I would like to install.

So what I am wondering is a) do all M17R SE laptops have the ability to accept a mSATA drive, and b) is it possible to boot off this drive (I have a large drive of 128GB so it  would be nice to use as a boot drive).

Thanks for any help

3.3K Posts

August 16th, 2012 10:00

Hi popsicled,

Yes, you can install mSATA module on this computer which would help in a faster boot up process using Intel Smart Response Technology.

I have provided a link below which has the instructions for installation of mSATA drive.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins7720/en/index.htm

Click “Owner’s Manual “and select mSATA, once the page opens follow the on screen instructions.

Now after installing the mSATA, restart the computer and press F2 on Dell logo to enter the BIOS. Use right arrow key to go to “Advanced” tab and highlight “SATA Operation” using the down arrow key and press enter, select “Intel Smart Response Technology” and press enter again. Save and exit the BIOS using F10 key.

Once the computer boots to Windows download and install “Intel Rapid Storage Technology” software from the link provided below.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats/Product/inspiron-17r-se-7720?DriverId=0MCXG&FileId=2987852309&urlProductCode=False

Follow the below mentioned instructions to set the mSATA hard drive as cache memory:

•  Click “Start”, type “Intel Rapid Storage Manager” without quotes and press enter.
  • The “Accelerate” button should be visible at the top of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology manager application window.
  • Click the “Accelerate” button, and a page titled “Intel Smart Response Technology” will appear.
  • Click the “Enable acceleration” link in the middle of the Smart Response window.
  • A window titled “Enable Acceleration” for configuring Smart Response will pop up.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions in the “Enable Acceleration” window to complete configuration of Smart Response.
  • Select the SSD to be used as a cache device.
  • Select the size from the SSD to be allocated for the cache memory. Any remaining space on the SSD may be used for data storage. A simple data disk labeled “Volume_0000” will be automatically created.
  • Select the drive (or RAID volume) to be accelerated. It is highly recommended to accelerate the system volume or system disk for maximum performance.
  • Select the acceleration mode. By default, Enhanced mode is selected. See “How to use Smart Response” for more details regarding Enhanced and Maximized modes.

Once the system is configured for Smart Response, the system will automatically begin to use the cache to enhance system performance by storing frequently used data on the cache device (mSATA), so that it can be retrieved faster than data stored on the HDD.

Keep me posted if you need any help.

October 10th, 2012 18:00

Now after installing the mSATA, restart the computer and press F2 on Dell logo to enter the BIOS. Use right arrow key to go to “Advanced” tab and highlight “SATA Operation” using the down arrow key and press enter, select “Intel Smart Response Technology” and press enter again. Save and exit the BIOS using F10 key.

I have followed those directions and only have the options "ATA" and "AHCI"

Regardless, you are not really answering the original question.  Can one install the operating system to the mSATA drive and tell the bios to boot from that mSATA drive?

1 Message

November 17th, 2012 13:00

I have the same problem as  jkmcilwaine

I have followed those directions and only have the options "ATA" and "AHCI" in the bios, no "Intel Smart Response Technology".

November 17th, 2012 13:00

You can not boot from a mSATA in this bios configuration. Must have a formal ssd 2.5 hd.
No Events found!