Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2011 11:00

Inspiron Mini 10 (1018) Netbook Memory

The specs only list 1 gig of RAM with no option to increase to 2Gig.  I notice almost all other mini's using the atom processor have the ability to use up to 2 Gig.  Has anyone tried increasing the memory to 2 gig on this model?  I have a preference for Dell laptops, but also want more than 1 gig of RAM.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

The memory module on the 1018 can be replaced with a 2G but the process requires significant disassembly:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins10v_1018/en/sm/memory.htm#wp1180190

Beware that there are many different models called Mini 10 -- not all of them are similarly upgradeable (nor are the instructions the same for all of them).

2 Posts

Look up Dell mini 10 memory upgrade on Youtube... step by step instructions.  Don't expect it to solve all your problems, this netbook is a clunker!

3.2K Posts

March 19th, 2011 12:00

Thanks . . I think I'll just look for a brand/model with 2 gig. 

1 Message

May 2nd, 2011 09:00

Inspiron Mini 1018 Memory Upgrade to 2GB

People, I don't know why these guys don't know this....

I tried it on my own, had the same problem that everyone is having here, with no video after upgrading...tried with the Dell Helpdesk (which was no support at all...ever since being put in INDIA) don't get me strated with that. But it seems that Dell is send the wrong type DIMM for the upgrade.

I know I tried twice... wasted money and time in the whole process...but here's where I found the fix.

The orininal memory (1gb 1Rx8 PC3) works find... but what dell and other places send for the 2GB module is a 2gb 2Rx8 PC3 (which you would think would work since they should know what they are doing). It never worked, then I call support and they tell me (including a manager) that it no longer supports a 2gb option for the laptop, but they are the ones that sold it to me. grrr .... so one day I was blessed with stumbling onto a Samsung 2GB 1Rx8 PC3 DIMM, I decided to plug that in and try it...works great and I have no problem with the memory. I would try ordering that if you want to upgrade.

So I hope someone else would help verify this solve...please let me know. I worked for me.

Yeah!!!

mflorioiii

December 31st, 2011 17:00

mflorioiii posted the best solution to the ram upgrade issue. Just to add another option to his solution, the Corsair CM3X2GSD1066 G DDR3 also works when upgrading to 2GB. I had the same problem with the Dell-recommended Memory so since I couldn't find the Samsung module I tried the Corsair and the unit fired right up with no known issues. Runs like a top. mflorioiii, your solve is tried, true and verified!

1 Message

December 3rd, 2013 02:00

I saw a post of yours re Dell Inspiron Mini 1018 RAM upgrade. I found one and  your opinion would be much appreciated.

It is Samsung 2GB 1Rx8 PC3-12800S-11-11-B2 Laptop DDR3 RAM Memory SO-DIMM Module

Do you think this one would work?

Many thanks

1 Message

September 21st, 2015 16:00

Man I wish I would have seen your post before I tried this.... Dammit Dell what happen to upgradability????

No Events found!