Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2015 10:00

Inspiron N4110 Windows 10 upgrade video flicker and vertical bars (Intel HD 3000 graphics)

I don't see this laptop in the list Dell has tested with Windows 10, but I did the upgrade anyway. I wanted to post this in case someone else tries and has the same problem. The problem didn't occur initially, but started after the video driver was updated automatically. With the new driver the screen would flicker and vertical bars would display on the right side of the screen. This only happened when the laptop was operating on battery power. When the AC was connected the video was good. Rolling the driver back to the version on the Dell support site may have helps some, but did not fix the issue. The problem stopped when I turn off display refresh switching using the Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel. There are several ways to get to this panel.

Here's one:

Start/Settings/System/Display/Advanced Display Settings/Display adapter properties. If the software is installed there will be a tab labeled Intel(R) Graphics and Media Control Panel. Select it, then click Graphics Properties.... Chose Advance mode in the pop-up and click OK. Select "Power" on the left side of the window and "On battery" in the drop down in the upper right. Make sure Display Refresh Rate Switching is unchecked. This worked for me. I haven't seen the issue since making this change to the settings. I suspect some conflict between hardware/drive and other power management software, but cannot verify it.

1 Message

August 16th, 2015 10:00

I had the same issue on battery and unchecking the refresh rate switching box fixed it. FYI - I had the same issue on Windows 8.1 after a driver update in January 2014. I don't remember it happening prior to that update, or in Windows 8/7 (I have upgraded this laptop from 7 > 10).

August 17th, 2015 15:00

When you write "display refresh switching," do you mean "Panel Self-Refresh" or "Extended Battery Life for Gaming"?

6 Posts

August 17th, 2015 18:00

Nope.  At the bottom (last line of text) of the "Advanced Display Settings" panel in Windows 10 Settings is a link "Display adapter properties".  That's what I clicked.  If it's installed you should be able to find the "Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel" at Start/All apps/Intel or Control Panel/All Control Panel Items.  That's the old control panel not Settings.

August 18th, 2015 11:00

The current version of the driver opens the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel when you click "Graphics Properties." There is no option for "Advanced," and in "Power" there is no option for "Display Refresh Rate Switching." Admittedly, I am using this on an XPS 13 9343, but I came to this thread from a link on an XPS 13-specific thread saying that the solution had already been posted at your post.

6 Posts

August 18th, 2015 14:00

Sorry for the confusion, but the other post was just a thank you for clarification and noted that the problem appeared to be something completely different. 

1 Message

January 8th, 2016 21:00

Hello

So was your issue resolved?. 

6 Posts

January 10th, 2016 11:00

Yes the problem was resolved.  The problem has not reoccurred since the change was made.

2 Posts

December 24th, 2016 07:00

I was impressed with these reply. It has been more than a year that I was looking for a solution for this problem. Even I have replaced the motherboard, battery. neither wasn't success. Finally got the solution, Problem solved.The problem has not reoccurred since the change was made.Thank you very much   

No Events found!