Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 27th, 2015 19:00

Inspiron N5010 display scattered but passed the LCD Test

Hello,

My Inspiron N5010 laptop stopped working last night. I at first thought that the display was broken. I did the LCD test on it and it passed. I could see every solid color perfectly. Then I was looking around the forums and they said maybe it was the motherboard. So I plugged it into an external display and that also worked very well. The screen is kind of scrambled. When I first turn on the computer, the screen is totally blank. Then when it gets to the Windows 10 booting screen, the screen flashes. You can kind of see the logo for about a half of a second between the flashes, There are horizontal lines and a little bit of static.

Here is a short video of what I see when I turn on my computer. (Put it in slow motion if needed)

drive.google.com/.../view

Once it gets passed the windows booting screen, it pretty much does nothing after that. The screen it totally black. I can also remote desktop to it perfectly. Maybe a flicker every minute or so, but that is about it. I am not sure what it can be since it connects to the an external monitor perfectly and the LCD test works fine (Holding D and pressing the power button).

Thank you for your time.

P.S. I don't think it is the OS or hard drive since it doesn't work in the bios either.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 28th, 2015 03:00

This is very likely a bad video chip - and on this model, that means the mainboard needs to be replaced.

December 28th, 2015 09:00

I don't understand why that would be since it works perfectly on another monitor.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 28th, 2015 11:00

It's actually common for an external monitor to work for a while before the GPU fails completely - the circuitry that's failing is that which drives the internal screen.  You may be able to eke out some  time before the GPU fails completely -- but it will fail -- by using the external monitor.

December 28th, 2015 13:00

How would I test if it is the GPU since I don't want to have to spend $200

No Events found!