Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2011 22:00

Inspiron N5110 Microphone Line-in not working

Hi

I recently have bought a Dell inspiron N5110 and my line-in headset does not work at all and I have tried re-downloading the driver and looking through the control panel and nothing at all seems to be working! Please could someone help me as I really need to use my headset microphone as the inspiron mic is really bad quality.

Thanks.

Marco

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 21st, 2011 07:00

my line-in headset

Marco, is a "line-in headset" one of the new kind that only has one plug (a single combo plug for both the headphones and mic) ? If so, it will not work with the N5110. You need a standard headset that has two plugs, one that goes into the laptop's headphone jack and another that goes into the mic jack.

If you are using a standard headset, try this. Open the Recording tab in Sound Properties, select the mic/line-in as the default recording device.

Now right click by the mic icon and select show disabled devices, then click on external mic and click enable, then set external mic as the default device.

1 Message

March 22nd, 2012 07:00

I bought N5110 laptop in Dec 2011, till yesterday (21-03-2012) I have used it (line-in mic) 3-4 times to record/chat but suddenly I found my mic is not working !! I even tried downloading sound drivers and installing them but of no use. This is extremely frustrating. When I enabled Microphone array laptop starts giving unbearable loud noise. 

Can you suggest something to do or I have to contact Dell repair center ?

1 Message

April 9th, 2012 09:00

i have the same problem. the external mic is not working

can you help me?

1 Message

May 14th, 2012 07:00

I have the same problem with my internal microphone array it makes this awful sound and have had several tecks at my home and still it does not work,I'm forced to buy a headset to see if they will work? Believe me it has been a nitemare with dell never again will we purchase another laptop! we gave good money for this.good luck on getting any where with repair people,we never did they changed every thing and still i have this sound,i could never figure out why i can hear it as my whole family can but the techs cant something is wrong here?????????????. we got ours in dec 2011 also, they must be worms around then or something. 

1 Message

February 19th, 2014 10:00

hi there,

its the first time am posting here..i really need u to help me out of these problem..

actually my problem is same as Marco, i'd tried the solution u give also but in vain...i update the driver also but out of no use

For me the green light is not present at all for all the three, even after selecting set as default...its not becoming green..plz help me...

but when am disabling it, n put enable it again, it appears green for a sec then the green disappear..

zay

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 19th, 2014 19:00

Zay, go to Control Panel >View by icons> IDT Control Panel

Click “Enable jack monitoring”. Now when you plug in a device to the “mic” port a window should pop up and allow you to set the type of device that was plugged into the audio jack. Select "mic", not "line in".

No Events found!