I performed a Clean Install of Win7 Home Premium on a Dell Inspiron N7010 (Service Tag # 15923124685).
I went to the Dell Support site and downloaded all the drivers for this machine.
I installed the drivers in the order suggested by a post in the support section.
I could not get anything to connect to the internet. The wireless connection didn't work and the Ethernet cable didn't work. I have been using the WIFI with other devices so I know the modem and router are fine. I plugged the same Ethernet cable into another laptop and it worked immediately so I know it is fine.
Computer Manager showed a yellow exclamation mark next to the following devices with associated Hardware lds:
Network Controller (PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4727&SUBSYS_00101028&REV_01)
PCI Simple Communications controllers (PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B64&SUBSYS_04571028&REV_06)
Ethernet Controller (PCI\VEN_1969&DEV_2060&SUBSYS_04571028&REV_C1)
I found a driver for the Ethernet Controller via DriverIdentifier.com and it worked and installed the Atheros AR8152 Fast Ethernet Controller. Thank goodness I was now able to connect to the internet with a cable at least.
I found drivers for the Network Controller (DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card) but it was the same I had downloaded from the Dell driver site (R252537) and it installed files but did nothing, even after a restart.
I found a driver for the PCI Simple Communications controller and it was the same as one I downloaded from Dell's support site (R269506) and it installed files but when it tried to install the driver it would stop the installation with an error stating that my computer did not have the hardware for this driver.
I tried these last two drivers several times even tried the same driver from both sites and several restarts with the same outcome.
I finally decided to move on for the moment and let Windows Update install all the updates it could find and I installed Microsoft Security Essentials and all its updates. As I write this, I saw the option to have Windows search Windows Update for drivers for the two remaining devices and attempt to install them. I chose that option and after almost 10 minutes, Windows update found and installed updates to the devices and it appears to be working. So hopefully all is now well and I am writing this as a reminder to myself on how to get this working next time I do a clean install of Win7 on this machine.
Solved! Go to Solution.