Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 1st, 2011 12:00

Inspiron N7010 webcam not detected after upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate from Home Premium

I have searched all over dell support pages, and still can't find a solution how to fix the built-in webcam on laptop inspiron N7010. I reinstalled Dell Webcam Central, but the software doesn't detect the webcam. I checked the device manager, and webcam is not listed part of the software.  The webcam WORKED when OS was still Home Premium, though I ran it only once.  After I upgraded to Ultimate, the webcam doesn't seem to be detected by the system. Is there any other drivers to activate the webcam. I can't find any drivers related to this laptop model anywhere at this link: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=inspiron_N7010, please help. thanks so much

904 Posts

February 11th, 2011 19:00

Hi

Go to programs and features and remove Dell Webcam central if already installed. (Restart the system)

Now install the newer version of the Webcam central from the following link.

Dell Webcam Central 2.0

2 Posts

February 11th, 2011 10:00

Do you succeed in solving the problem? I have the same problem and I don't know what to do. I searched for drivers, for the same laptop(n7010), but i didn't find them. Can you tel me how you fixed the problem?(I have Windows 7 Professional on 64 bits , if that matters)

2 Posts

February 12th, 2011 02:00

Thanks, it worked.:emotion-1:

5 Posts

February 12th, 2011 07:00

I uninstalled the old DWC, and installed the new 2.0 as instructed, but still doesn't work for me. any other suggestions, thanks.

904 Posts

February 12th, 2011 08:00

have your tried messengers ? Such as skype and see if it detects the webcam ?

What message shows up when you start the webcam central?

The software must be installed properly. When you remove the old one , we need to restart and then install the new one.

5 Posts

February 12th, 2011 11:00

Yes, I did restart the computer both times after uninstalling the old version and after installing the new one.

I already tried with Yahoo! messenger and Window Live Messenger, neither can detect the webcam,

Message on Dell Webcam Center "No supported webcam connected", see screen capture.

904 Posts

February 12th, 2011 19:00

The only other option i see here now is a clean installation of windows ultimate. It is a software related issue, looks like webcam driver for OS could have gone corrupt. re-installation of webcam central should have fixed the issue, if it doesnt then only a clean reinstallation of OS would work.

5 Posts

February 13th, 2011 11:00

I did what you suggested by reinstalling a new clean OS Window 7 Ultimate, but the webcam CAN'T be detected still :emotion-6:

I think i'm giving up on fixing this problem.

thanks so much for your time and help.

March 19th, 2011 03:00

I have the same problem, the webcam never worked on my N7010. I've tried reinstalling the webcam software a lot of times - no result, even reinstalled clean Windows and nothing.

I'm thinking maybe the webcam isn't connected to the laptop?

February 22nd, 2012 14:00

I too have the exact same problem.  I spent 2 hours with Dell support on the phone and they had no solutions either.  They told me I had to send my laptop to the "depot" to get fixed.  There should be a much easier way to troubleshoot this thing online but no one seems to know anything.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2012 15:00

I have a contact and I am working with Dell to help resolve this. We recently made contact with Creative Labs, so hopefully some progress can be made.

I am posting this, again for the people that did not see the information. I will need some information. I have told Dell that most of the systems came with Windows 7 and the webcams have stopped working. With me getting the information privately, they will see that your system is on this list.

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

If you cannot get it to work, then read THIS.

Rick

34 Posts

February 22nd, 2012 15:00

This has been an ongoing issue and if you are out of warranty it really looks like it is not worth pursuing.  My take on it is that a regular Windows Update no longer supported Creative Labs integrated webcam on the N7010 as the driver is suppose to be in Windows.  Creative Labs no longer does business with Dell and will not support the camera with a new driver nor will Dell.  This will be my last Dell computer.  If I can get a silly camera to work on my cell phone, this should not be an issue on a 1000 dollar laptop.  That is my opinion on it.

June 11th, 2012 01:00

super unfair to customers - agreeing with you

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 11th, 2012 04:00

Emilie Buffiere,

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

Also try running the Webcam Diagnostics

Did the webcam show in the symptom tree?

Any error messages?

Is the computer under warranty?

Rick

June 11th, 2012 11:00

My INSPIRONN4030 (64b) experienced a windows booting issue recently (probably due to a corruption of profile) so the OPS was reisnatlled recently and since it is still under warranty, Compunet fixed it for free, integrated webcam was working fine after all this.It is only recently that it stopped working and it appears that it is since teh last microsoft upgrades.

1. I have checked all drivers and all seem to be installed properly

2. I have been reading every single help and thread in the DELL website and followed various instructions (control panel/my computer/ect) in vain, uninstalled and reinstalled webcam center, tried different versions

3. Ran the cam diagnostic where it asks me to pay and upgrade (?!). Did not do that of course.

4. Never received any error message apart from 'webcam not detected' exactly as it appears on the above screenshot

I also asked around as I have friends working in computing and SEO fields: they all tell me that it's an upgrade which does not cover webcam central driver. So basically, like every smart user I check updates and dowload them when it's from microsoft and when it's an important one.

After a week I am starting to think about selling it and buying from another brand. The amount of time I have wasted on this is absolutely ridiculous. I thank you for your answer but it seems repetitive and does not aim at the real problem clients encounter. Have you had any news since February?

Thanks,

Emilie.

No Events found!